Help Please?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi, been to see mother today, she has had a new boiler fitted, by a very well known company (no more for now) And in the large airing cupboard where it was fitted , was my dads walking cane, with a sword concealed inside, pretty sure (not positive) that one of the operatives has whipped it.

Mum is very upset as you can imagine, i am just not sure how to go about the situation, because to the best of my knowledge the sword cane is illegal?? (from a reporting it, stance) You know, find cane then mum gets done! So she has agreed to wait until i get back to her.

Thanks.

Ivan...

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
If its 100yr old its an antique, also you can own it, but not give/sell/lend etc...

You need to get straight on to them, as any delay means they as in the culprit will dispose of it.

Rob

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
If its 100yr old its an antique, also you can own it, but not give/sell/lend etc...

You need to get straight on to them, as any delay means they as in the culprit will dispose of it.

Rob

I would phone them and ask what happened to the Antique walking cane, say "you havn't thrown it away have you, its very expensive as its a trick one like has been shown on antiques roadshow, insurance company will want to know"

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor

Rob
Thanks, did not know that, it's been in our house for 50 years i know of, it's about waist height with an ornate polished brass top really intricately engraved, the blade is a bit pitted and rusty (nearly the full length of the cane), and the lining of the sheath as it were is like long slithers of bamboo, it certainly seems likely that it's that old.

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I would phone them and ask what happened to the Antique walking cane, say "you havn't thrown it away have you, its very expensive as its a trick one like has been shown on antiques roadshow, insurance company will want to know"

Thats difficult as it is a National Company so i would be speaking to someone at an office not connected locally.

Now my mum is 85 but sharp as a new pin, there is a chance she has put it somewhere safe! But i doubt it she does not miss a trick, i was going to give it a day, then go and have a thorough look, also give her time to think.Before i made a noise, i was just as worried about the legal aspect.

Ivan...

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Get straight onto them and ask the question; that makes it clear to them that you know it is missing.

We had something similar happen when we had our loft boarded; the face saving get out was the tradesman's mate "accidentally knocking it into a toolbox" where it was later found.

If they flatly deny it though then it's going to be tricky.

Good Luck with it for your Mum's sake.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi
Sorry to here this, hopefully it's been moved somewhere in the house, I hope you don't mind me asking on your post (it might help the post in some way)
When you say it's illegal! Does it mean you can't own one or carry one or sell one? The reason I am asking is I bought one of similar description in a car boot sale in July in North Wales, and have only put it away for now?
Thanks again and hope it turns up

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi
Sorry to here this, hopefully it's been moved somewhere in the house, I hope you don't mind me asking on your post (it might help the post in some way)
When you say it's illegal! Does it mean you can't own one or carry one or sell one? The reason I am asking is I bought one of similar description in a car boot sale in July in North Wales, and have only put it away for now?
Thanks again and hope it turns up

I had not a clue, and have just learned the 100 year old thing! It's been in our house for donkeys years, i used to take it out of the umbrella stand when i was a kid and play with it! Until i cut myself.

Huge sentimental value, and probably worth a few quid too.

Ivan...

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Thanks,
I really hope it turns up somewhere, things like this is more sentimental and are really missed when they are gone, I think I would have to say something to the boiler people, they could of even moved it somewhere safe in the house while working on the boiler and forgot to tell you. The longer you leave it, they might turn around and say something, get on to them ASAP and if it does turn up then you can always tell them,
Good luck with it

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Seen one sold on an antique show (flog it i think) so must nt be illegal as its an antique.defo worth mentioning it to them just say you wondered if they had had to move it while working give them a chance to own up with out causing a fuss otherwise they will probably just get rid if they have it

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks for the replys, i have phoned and explained the situation (very diplomatically) they are looking into it and said they will phone back with their findings.

Will update those interested, regardless of outcome.

Ivan...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good luck Ivan, hope it all gets sorted, I hate these bleeders thinking they can take advantage. Fingers crossed mate.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Good luck Ivan it is always a difficult situation to have to deal with, I had a theft from my vehicle when I put it in for some major works that took way to long. It was a couple of items and not large in value, but how do you go about challenging and proving who it was, I just refuse to use the garage and if asked I advise folks not to use that particular place.

Hope you find a good resolution.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is perfectly legal to have an antique sword stick in your house. It is illegal to walk down the street with it. The police would prefer to know it has been stolen by a person with access to peoples homes than be worried by old lady with an antique.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm with Xylaria, call the cops. Your mum has broken no laws, and has been stolen from. If you don't hear back today, call the old bill.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
What's the latest on this mate?
Have things worked out ok?

Actually got a phone call yesterday to say after speaking to the people concerned, that they had not removed or thrown anything away apart from the old boiler and packaging that is standard from the new installation, said they would also send me a complaint form, if i wished to take further action.

I did go and have a thorough look and no sign, i also grilled my poor old mum, but she insists it had been in that cupboard for ages and that she had no reason to move it.

One of those things i suppose.

Ivan...

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Actually got a phone call yesterday to say after speaking to the people concerned, that they had not removed or thrown anything away apart from the old boiler and packaging that is standard from the new installation, said they would also send me a complaint form, if i wished to take further action.

I would think that if you wanted to take things further, that rather than a complaint form you should be contacting the police.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I have spoken to the police, i would be typing all day and in effect get nowhere, safe to say it has been logged, and they are looking into it.

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE