HELP... I'm too tall!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
any tall bushcrafters out there know of a good supplier of out door kit? i'm 6'9'' (205.5cm) tall with a 38'' inside leg and long arms in need of some out door gear. have some ex-military kit but even that is a bit small in some places!
also am going to have to get a new (gortex) jacket some time but will have to get the sleaves extended!
also sleeping bags, i know most out door companies do extra long sleeping bags, but was looking at a down one on www.alpkit.com any one had any of their stuff?

any help at all would be great

thanks alot
tp

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I have got wool blankets up to about 7 foot before. I'm 6'3" so don't suffer too badly :rolleyes:
For old fashioned things look on European sites - if the cut off for something is 6foot in Britain it can sometimes be 2 metres in Europe. I've heard the Dutch army in particular is good for tall persons surplus.

I wear Dickies worpants and shirts for outdoor stuff as they are poly cotton and wear like iron and dry fast. The pants come up to 39" leg unhemmed. I'm not sure how long the sleeves on the shirts come.
You might want to try a search on Dickies, because they have UK outlet.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Heh Tipi im only six four, but got a ventile jacket from www.snowsled.com you can get them any shape and size you want, extra pockets etc. Its expensive tho, but ventile has already proven itself to be far better than gore-tex, in my experience. (not affiliated to company, just a happy customer, etc.)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tipi,

A few of us have had gear tailor made by Sasskit. Absolute bargain in my view. My Ventile jacket was made to fit and cost less than an over the counter version

Well worth looking them up

http://www.sasskit.co.uk/

Red

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Tipi said:
any tall bushcrafters out there know of a good supplier of out door kit? i'm 6'9'' (205.5cm) tall with a 38'' inside leg... also sleeping bags, i know most out door companies do extra long sleeping bags, but was looking at a down one on www.alpkit.com any one had any of their stuff?...

Hello Tipi,

Not that tall myself ( 6ft), but…

I recently bought one of Alpkit’s AlpineDream 500 bags, and it’s very comfortable indeed, but a close fitting bag, which may be problem for you, but as you probably know there are detailed dimensions on the page devoted to each bag.

Fjällraven do, if I recall correctly, offer some trousers that have an unfinished hem at the bottom of the legs, so that one can adjust them to the necessary length one may require.

Manufacturer’s site here:
http://www.fjallraven.se/

The largest selection of Fjällraven products I know of available online in the UK, here:
http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/

Best regards,
Paul.

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
Not that tall, but at 6'5" I have had similar difficulties.

I have found Norrona kit, specifically the Arktis Jacket very large. I ordered XXL and it is vast on me, both sleeve and body length.

Swandri come in very large sizes and sleeve length again has never been a problem.

Finally, if you have contacts over the pond (USA or Canada) you can get kit in larger sizes. Mountain Equipment Co-op had sleeping bags and Goretex in long lengths when I was last over there (2000). Their website is www.mec.ca.

Hope that's useful.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Hi TP,

Take a good look at Cabelas, I am a great fan of their's and their service is second to none.

They have a huge selection of goods including clothing and sleeping bags in "tall" sizes.

www.cabelas.com

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
....... if you are looking for warm kit then try Extreme Outdoor Clothing (www.extremeoutdoorclothing.com).

All their kit is tailor made so it's guaranteed to fit like a glove. You definitely won't be disappointed. If it doesn't fit then you can send it back and they will adjust it for you till it's just right. You have to take quite a few measurements initially (height, chest waist, inside leg, arm length and seat) but they give you a guide on how to take the measurements accurately. If in doubt Keith the owner will be able to guide you.

I'm a big fan of their field smock (see the military section). Tailor made and it's cheaper than a Buffalo! They have also started to make some interesting looking cotton twill, cotton drill or Tactel trousers that look like they should be suitable for bushcrafting use.

Only thing I’d say is that their service is a bit slow at this time of year due to the demand, they are a small company. It can take up to 4 weeks to process an order, however, the quality of the garment is second to none and worth the wait!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
.......... forgot to mention that Hilltrek in Breamar also have a made to measure service for their ventile and fleece clothing. The double layer ventile jacket is £299 but I suppose that at decent gortex XCR jacket costs £250 these days. Their Nikwax analogy jacket is cheaper (£200) but I have no idea how that fabric performs.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I feel positively short now! :)

I'm 6'5 with 35" leg, which get annoying. I've been putting up with craghoppers for ages, but ended up getting a pair of Barrents which come with an unfinished leg length so they can be cut and hemed to your ideal length. the only other problem I have is with sleeve length, generally I just wear short sleeved tops, but found that the Helly Hanson Army Jacket did good sleeve length and West Winds added an extra 2" to the smock i ordered.

So there is plenty of tall person kit out there, but it might just cost that fraction more for theupper end of the market kit.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
WOW, thanks all you guys, lots of site etc for me to check up on, will prob wit till after christmas before getting any thing as will have a bit more money and there might be a few sales on :)
sorry for all of those of you who now feel short but i never asked to be this tall, comes in handy some times but is annoying at others!
hopfully every one else has learnt somthig as well especialy if you are odd sizes, lol
thanks "the green man" alpkit do an extra long version of their sleeping bags at 230cms long, with a max. user lenght of 207cms, so i'll just fit!
also am going to get a T-shirt printed with how tall i am, as people keep stopping me in the street and at work to ask! lol
any way, thanks again every one
tp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE