Help identifying what tree I picked up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Hello,
I recently picked up a few pieces of wood after they cut down a few at the edge of my local forest.
But I couldn't identifying with certainty what I picked up so would like help with the ones I couldn't tell.

Would also take suggestion on what you think I should make from them, or simply throw them in the fire. ;)

Thanks.

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
3 looks like scots pine
6 looks like laburnum
4 looks like cherry
2 i think growth rings look to much for cherry
5 looks like sycamore
but may be wrong on all

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm going to agree that 6 looks like laburnum. Should be dense and hard.
I think 2 is poplar - grey bark, porous looking growth rings. If I'm right it is fairly lightweight for its size.
4 may be cherry, as said above. Nice wood, has an orange colour, and good for carving.
3 is a softwood - fir, spruce etc. Not the best for woodworking, but ok.
1 & 5 - well, they might be birch, or hazel.

Ultimately, who cares? Have a carve at them, see how they handle, how they cut, and which ones you like the look of. You can make bowls, a drinking cup, or rustic tool handles, carve a woodspirit, or if you have a lathe try a bit of turning.

Fire is a last resort, but if 2 is poplar, better to bin it than burn it, as it gives off the most awful smoke.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Always difficult from photographs, but i am happy that.

1,4 and 5 are silver birch.

2 is sweet chestnut.

3 are scots pine branches.

6 is a scrub oak.

Ivan...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
This is what I think they are , but in what country were they found
1 is Cherry
2 is Cherry
3 is some sort of pine
4 is Birch
5 is Blackthorn
6 is Willow

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
OH! You have got me wondering now!As i said from pics it is difficult to be certain.

If you don't mind posting me all samples, so i can look,feel,smell etc. I will definitely be able to guess!!

I think 1 could be wild cherry now?

I am going for a lie down in a darkened room.

Ivan...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
1,2 4 and 5 look like cherry woods. ( which can look similar to the non silver birches)
3 is pine
6 could be willow, but i am going on the bark for that one, it looks like it has the little "eyes" that identify willow with

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE