HELP: how to roast a pig?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Ive cooked many a spit roast and they look good hanging on the spit but why did folks from by gone years bother cooking this way - It is labour intensive with the amount of wood needed using valuable resorses to keep a fire going for 4 or 5 or even more hours - I have tended to stear away from spit roasting resently and butcher say a deer into steaks and cook over a green stick barby -SO much quicker I will do another rant after this one about ground ovens as there is a simple way of doing this IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
well i think ,in by gone years -wood was abundant - also i,m guessing the roast pig was for a `special` occasion -so all the family would help out in the cooking !!!

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
I dont think you would agree if you had to prep the pig or venison to roasting stage from scratch and build a spit roast tripods and spit roast and 6 hours or more latter gather all the wood ect

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Probably not if i had to do it all by myself !!! when my girlfriend was working in greece - the whole family helped out doing thier share of roasting a goat !!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Very much a special celebration event, spit roasting. That said a spit over an open fire in larger houses and castles was a common site. Dogs were placed in treadwheels to turn the spit.

as for scoring the flesh, lightly score before roasting and rub with salt. Do not cut deep, literally run the blade over the flesh so it opens when roasting. Baste very liberally throughout the cooking process.

Apple in the mouth of a pig...pure decoration
hogroast1.jpg

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just looking at all the mouth watering pictures and then staring down at my depressing looking pasty... :( roll on spring and summer already..

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oh, then I got it wrong. Sorry.

What else?.. About cooking it for a start. Well I don't have that option I'm afraid.

More about the basting. What do you use for that? I think some honey at the very end should do a nice job?...

I'm planing to use Alder. Good isn't it?

Sandbender it's a pig from my neighbour, I'll try to prepare it myself a day or two before. It will not be frozen, maybe sored in a cool place. But warming it is a good idea.!..

And how should I prepare the meat? Sal it ? I was thinking maybe covering it with a paste from mayonaise and herbs? How do you prepare the pig?

Any hardwood will work but nothing does pork better than Hickory, Mesquite is a close second. If you cain't get an adequate supply for the whole cooking session try using a few pieces soaked in water the first and last half hour of cooking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE