Help choosing a brew kit stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi there.
I need help before I go crazy. I travel a lot around the country in a car/on a train as a driver. Always with me response pack with waterproof jacket, multitool, pocket 1st aid kit etc. I would like to add a little brew/cook kit. Most of the time I'm able to get boiling water where I deliver/collect vehicles but I would love to be able to boil a cup or two when I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere waiting for a train.

I have:
alpkit titanium 450 mug - Just right for a coffe/hot chockolate/pack of noodles, that's what I would like to carry if I can only find a stove for it.
alpkit titanium 750 mug - bigger than I need and causes me to overfill it with spare sachets of brew, also barely fits in my kit.
gas stove and 100 canister - I keep that in 750 pot for proper cooking in the woods.

My plan B is 450 mug with sachets + small gas stove, and a 100 gas canister separatelly somewhere in the pocket. But that's an over kill size and burning time wise.

• Wood stove - that is not an option due to the inconvenience
  • Solid/hexi fuel stove - not an option due to the soot/gunk on the pots and everything around
  • just bought and tried highlander gel stove - very nice actually, clean cooking, compact and convenient. But slooooow and size/weight same as a 100 canister
  • I'm thinking about alcohol stove as I really like how elegant and clean the gel stove work. Would it be quicker? How hard it would be to use in cold conditions (when you need something hot the most)? Thinking about the vargo titanium triad stove and a small bottle of fuel.
  • Never had a contact with MRE heat packs, would that be an option?
  • Trangia mini, again no experience...

What can I put in my mug that would give me 2-3 "boils" fairly cleanly...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have a Primus mimer and its a great sturdy gas stove. It is medium sized bhut a great sturdy stove.

Hope this helps :).

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I would like an alternative to the gas stove/canister. Something that would fit in the 450 mug. Like mini tangia maybe?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
How about making a pop can stove? Haven't done one myself but have seen others that look really good.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
your not going to save much on space with a meths burner and fuel bottle to be honest unless you use a coke can stove (as much as i hate gas) but they are nice and quiet...

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
You are seriously pushing the limits of small there. I would suggest you look at making a penny stove or pop can stove and using it with a foil windscreen and a mesh cylinder as a pot stand. There a loads of videos on YouTube showing these.

Start here: http://zenstoves.net

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Is it possible to store tatonka burner with fuel in it? Does it have a screw top or something? Because an alcohol stove that can be sealed full would be perfect for me. And I can always take like a 60ml nalgene bottle with fuel to refill.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
How about a Whitebox stove?

No need for a pot stand and it fits inside an Alpkit cup.

fa71710b-5811-4fe3-8e1e-381d9df15d5e_zpsca7ebe54.jpg

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Interesting but you can't seal it with fuel in it and it works best with wide pans according to the description. So far tatonka is leading, thanks for that idea :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
+1 for the Tatonka - easily two boil-ups from what fits in the stove, never had a leak. I use a foil w/shield and a home made trivet, an X shape metal jobby, and all this fits in a Tatonka mug - Tiny!...

Cold weather? tuck it under your arm for ten minutes before use............quick, simple, light, cheap and simple!............................atb mac

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
just as an aside all trangia type stoves can still leak on occasions. if nesting it in the cup do put it in a bag of some sort. i use a little mini 1l dry bag to keep mine in and ive never had an issue

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE