Hello UK, Finland Calling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Good Evening from the land of the midnight sun (and months of darkness in the virtual winter, but no bugger tells you about that :) )

Looking forward to making a contribution to the forum.

susi

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Good Evening from the land of the midnight sun (and months of darkness in the virtual winter, but no bugger tells you about that :) )

Looking forward to making a contribution to the forum.

susi

Welcome to the forum Susi. Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do :)

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Good to have you on bushcraft uk and thanks for introducing yourself, tell us a bit more :D

Well thank You, Mesquite and Leon for the warm and rapid welcome!

I'm a mix of English/Finnish, live in Central Finland and am lucky enough to have relatively unspoilt nature on my doorstep.

On the off-chance that anyone needs help/info or advice about this neck of the forest, fire your questions my way :))

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Welcome Susi. The international members are a great asset to the forum so you are doubly welcome. The only Finnish words I know are 'puukko' and 'sisu' - so I guess you could say that the Finns are renowned for their steel.

How bad are your biting insects in the summer?

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
The only Finnish words I know are 'puukko' and 'sisu' - so I guess you could say that the Finns are renowned for their steel.

How bad are your biting insects in the summer?

Two more for you:

kirves = axe
hirvi = moose
karhu = bear
and of course susi = wolf

Re the insects, it depends quite a lot where you are in the country and which type of forest you're in and a bit on the weather.

As an example, here in central Finland, the mosquitos aren't too bad right now, a good repellent (50% DEET) on exposed skin will do the job in 95% of situations.

In contrast, we were a week up in Kainuu (just into the northern reindeer herding area) earlier in the summer, and we needed the head veils for trekking.

On top of the mosquitos, there are many varieties of gadfly/horsefly, the females of which happily bite a chunk of flesh from you - these can be quite painful. And later in the year we will have the moose fly, which lands on you and sheds it's wings - last year one cheekily tried to set up home in my chest hair! I only felt something was wrong when he sprinted across my nipple.

Taking a daily anti-histamine tablet (loratadine or similar) also helps and we tend to carry an "adder pack" when we are out and about. This is a pack of 3 strong hydrocortisone tablets, intended for an adder bite, but equally useful if you are stung by bees or hornets.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Re the insects, it depends quite a lot where you are in the country and which type of forest you're in and a bit on the weather.

As an example, here in central Finland, the mosquitos aren't too bad right now, a good repellent (50% DEET) on exposed skin will do the job in 95% of situations.

In contrast, we were a week up in Kainuu (just into the northern reindeer herding area) earlier in the summer, and we needed the head veils for trekking.

On top of the mosquitos, there are many varieties of gadfly/horsefly, the females of which happily bite a chunk of flesh from you - these can be quite painful. And later in the year we will have the moose fly, which lands on you and sheds it's wings - last year one cheekily tried to set up home in my chest hair! I only felt something was wrong when he sprinted across my nipple.

Taking a daily anti-histamine tablet (loratadine or similar) also helps and we tend to carry an "adder pack" when we are out and about. This is a pack of 3 strong hydrocortisone tablets, intended for an adder bite, but equally useful if you are stung by bees or hornets.

OK I think I will cross Northern Finland off my places to visit list.:D Not a fan of the little biters. Welcome to the forum.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
OK I think I will cross Northern Finland off my places to visit list.:D Not a fan of the little biters. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, when the mozzy population is at its peak, you wouldn't want to sleep out in a basha :) If bitten, the thing is never to scratch, no matter how bad it feels, and a scorching sauna is a good remedy at the end of a trip :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have a Finnish friend who tells me that the Finnish cure for just about everything is either the sauna or vodka. In severe cases they use both.

Thanks for the Finnish words. I'm quite interested in Finnish culture and have even read the Kalevala, though not, of course, in the original language.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I have a Finnish friend who tells me that the Finnish cure for just about everything is either the sauna or vodka. In severe cases they use both.

Thanks for the Finnish words. I'm quite interested in Finnish culture and have even read the Kalevala, though not, of course, in the original language.

Ah yes, ask him what happens if you have an illness and either koskenkorva (a Finnish clear spirit, similar to vodka), tar or sauna don't cure you :)

You're my hero if you've ploughed through the whole Kalevala :)

Lönrot was a wise man. Just wandered around remote villages for a couple of years, taking onboard the local brew, listening to a few stories, and leaving a few of his own. Top chap :)

But any questions on Finnish culture, fire them my way.

By the way, where is your friend from? I'm in Laukaa.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Welcome susi, are there a lot of adders in your area.

Yup, too many in my opinion. :)

It's quite a hot topic for some and there are many opinions as to whether they should be protected or not (they are). They are of course part of nature and have their own purpose in the food chain, but hey, so did lots of other animals that were persecuted for being a pest.

I know one lady who has a nearby adder nest where they hibernate during the winter. Every spring she spends some time hanging around outside the nest with a stick, waiting for them to emerge (they are slow and sleepy until the weather warms). Without this annual cull, her garden would be quite over run with adders, not what you need when kids are out playing. Strictly speaking she is breaking the law, but is it justified?

My friend's mum was bitten a couple of years ago and her whole arm went black. Another friend's husband was running naked through long grass, from the sauna to jump into the lake, and was bitten on the ankle. Just two small holes, no poison.

I could write endlessly about adders, but I dont want to bore you, although by far the most worrying story I heard was that someone was sleeping overnight in the forest, he woke in the morning to find an adder happily curled up in the warmth of his armpit. Yuck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE