Hello, fellow forum dwellers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rattebek

Mar 15, 2010
Brussels
I'm new here, so I figure I might say hi first, before I do anything else.

Let me introduce. I grew up in a city in Flanders, Belgium. But I've always been drawn to the rural landscape, too. I love grasslands, dunes, forests, mountains. Recently I decided to spend more time in such places, and I thought that getting into the bushcraft and survival skills might learn me to perceive the landscape more thoroughly, more intensely...

In recent weeks i started building my own basic survival kit. First stop: the lakes, rivers and woods of Sweden.

I'll be posting some topics about that soon, and I hope that other people might get something out them, too.

Cheers!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and Welcome!
Although I never learned to speak Flemish I used to live in around Brussels in my youth - Tervuren and Boisfort (sorry if the spelling is wrong, it was 30 years ago!) and really loved the Foret.
The Ardennes are pretty good too....

Rattebek

Mar 15, 2010
Brussels
Thanks, guys.

John: spelling was almost right, you just forgot to put a 't' in Boitsfort. Actually, the way you spelled it makes more sense as 'boitsfort' refers to the forest ('bois' in French, and 'bos' in Dutch). I have no idea why they put the 't' in there at some point in history; but my guess is that it's just a coincidence.

And the forest is beautiful indeed. I can send you on a nostalgia trip and post some nice photo's of it from back in februari, when it was all snowed under. I guess Mike will like that, too.

For everyone who might be interested: this is where this forest is located: http://bit.ly/afkeNs (url links to Google Maps). Note the large scale if you compare it to the Centre of Brussels.

Wikipedia has an article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonian_Forest

Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE