New 21yo guy based in Derbyshire/Aberdeenshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 25, 2016
Derbyshire
Hi all,

I'm David, a 21-year-old graduate living in Derbyshire (I'm actually in India as I type this but I live with my parents in rural Derbyshire normally).
I've always had a keen interest in the outdoors, and in the past three years my interest has grown. I am particularly into mycology, foraging and shelter-building.

My family own a house in Aberdeenshire, just inside the Cairngorms, surrounded by rolling hills, forests and rivers. My brothers and I had great fun growing up with my brothers there in summer, hiking, cycling, fishing etc. I am planning to visit the area in mid April 2017 for between 6 weeks and 12 weeks, depending on how much I enjoy it. I am hoping to build a natural shelter in the woods and live there for as long as I feel comfortable. I will go back to the main house every couple of days for supplies but I am going to limit the time I spend there, I want to focus on building the shelter and enjoying the natural life. I have done camping a few times before and thoroughly enjoyed it, and I loved den-building as a child, so I wanted to use this free year of my life to challenge myself in this sort of environment. I am hoping to write a blog during my time there, explaining everything I am getting up to; constructing the shelter, cooking, perhaps hunting, etc.

I am joining this community to learn as much as I can about what to expect and how I can enjoy my time there more, and am keen to meet people who have done this sort of thing before! I have been watching Ray Mears docs, videos by MCQ Bushcraft, Zed Outdoors, Survival Lilly etc. and reading books on foraging, mushrooms, and general bushcraft. I am really excited for this trip and hoping that by joining this forum I can have a better experience while I'm there :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Welcome. Sounds like a great plan, good to see a relative youngster planning and making use of their spare time. The situation you describe is ideal for experience, you have the back up of the main house if things don't work out.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
hi welcome to the group. i used to live up around aberdeen a few years ago, i worked in a lot of the forests along the river dee. i would have to say my favorite area up in that part of the world would be around aboyne. i hope your adventure goes well.

Apr 25, 2016
Derbyshire
hi welcome to the group. i used to live up around aberdeen a few years ago, i worked in a lot of the forests along the river dee. i would have to say my favorite area up in that part of the world would be around aboyne. i hope your adventure goes well.

Thanks beezer, I will actually be Donside near Strathdon but not too far from Aboyne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
aaarr ok dont real know that area much. used to ride a mountain bike route north of tarland but just about anywhere in the cairngorms is great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE