helle symfoni

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
I was thinking about getting a helle symfoni for bushcraft, anyone have any opinions as to if this is a wise decision or any experience with the knife? Thanks. Also is it true that they cant spark a ferro rod and why?

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
The Helle range are great for the money so I dont think you will have any problems. Personally I have the Brakar and the Harmoni.

As for sparking a rod, it has nothing to do with the knife or the material its made from, but from the sharpness and hardness of the striker you are using. The Helle knives dont have a particularly sharp spine (unlike Fallkniven that are purposely made at 90 degrees) So, if your heart is set on a Symfoni (May I suggest you look at the Eggen too, it has a nicer sheath, is the same sort of size and usually cheaper) then all you would need to do is flatten the spine of your knife to create a sharp (90 degree) angle. Note, any material be it metal, glass or stone will create sparks from a ferro rod, providing it meets the right criteria (sharp and hard)

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
Cool thanks. But I have read else where that the reason for the helle's not being able to create sparks is due also to the softness of the outer steel...which I couldn't due anything about.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Yes, there is that, although Fallkniven use 420J2 which isnt exactly Tungsten like. I have also heard of someone flattening their Helle and it worked fine. Worst case scenario carry a short length of Hacksaw blade with the spark stick.

OK, my interest is piqued now. If I get time I will try it with my Harmoni.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
there was a good review of this knife and one of it's competitiors in tactical knives about a year ago. Essentially they were looking for an upgrade from a Mora (in terms of looks) and it fit the job pretty well.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have a Helle futura and its my baby :eek:

I have had it about 2 years and its took a beating and stood up proudly to loads of bushcraftyness. Theres a pic in the out and about "loch lomond"

Great knives take a good edge and solid PLUS value for money.

I have the symfoni and it does not throw a spark at all i have read about filing the back down to a sharper angle but i have not tried it myself yet. The knife is nice and sharp out of the box and very easy to sharpen but the finish on the knife isn't great as the bone at the front of the handle has porous holes in it (could lead to water ingress and snapping of the tang which is not a full tang) that have not been filled allthough i read that you can fill this with superglue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE