Helle Fjellkniven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi all, looking for a good scandi knife. I like the look of the Helle Fjellkniven. What are anyones opinions on this knife. Good, bad, whatever. I really want to make a well informed choice on my first scandi knife.

Also what is the steel they use in this knife. Is it 12c27 in the core???

Any info, links to reviews, etc... would be great.

Geoffrey.

:pack:

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I do like the look of this knife, but I've heard some very mixed opinions of it. Some people say that it's an excellent all-purpose knife and while it certainly looks like one to me, I have heard reports of problems with loose handles etc.

I've not got one myself, but I have only recently got my first scandi knife too, a Kellam Wildfinn Puukko, and I'm loving it. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I was talking about the Fjellkniven, :D!

The Bushman looks like it could be good, but it appears a bit bulky and the curve on that blade looks a bit steep for my liking. Also, I wouldn't have thought that it's handle would be too comfortable for extended periods of work, but not having used one I could be entirely wrong.

Rhapsody said:
I was talking about the Fjellkniven, :D!

The Bushman looks like it could be good, but it appears a bit bulky and the curve on that blade looks a bit steep for my liking. Also, I wouldn't have thought that it's handle would be too comfortable for extended periods of work, but not having used one I could be entirely wrong.

Ok Sorry abiout that. :wave:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've heard a few horror stories that involve the wood coming loose from the tang after a few years hard use. The best of that style of knife is made by EKA but you do pay more for it.
Helle knives are fairly cheep but I would recommend you stay away from batons with it

I wonder how well the handles stay on the cheeper puukkos that cost about the same. I would never abuse a scadi in the same way I do my F1 but maybe you don't need something that tough.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
yeah i need something tough. Something to baton, etc...

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

PS Big Target, thanks for the cold steel link. I am looking for something "traditional" wood, steel, and scandi grind.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
allen blade spring to mind. You could fiddle with a F1 but they are a bit of work. Really very tough

I haven't handled an allen blade but people here don't seem to have any problems. I see some knives that look ike they've been made by people who misubderstood the needs. I have no such fears of Allens work

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
had an allan blade, sold it, handle just didn't work for me. Having a real trouble with finding a knife that will feel comfy in my hand.

Geoffrey.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The Fjelkniven is a wonderful knife. I love Helle's anyway. I'm always amazed at the edge they take. The steep bevel many of them have cut wood far better than one might think. The Fjelkniven handle is very comfortable although if you have big hands, you may want to round off the beak on the butt. The Helle laminated blades are not know to take to a baton very well and some folks have reported them bending. But if you carry a hatchet, axe, or other chopping tool, the Fjelkniven would be a great compliment. Another problem with the Helle laminated blades is that the outer laminate is soft and the spine does not strike a very good spark with the firesteel. You can use the edge but that's not so good for the edge. So if you carry a firesteel, it's a good idea to carry some kind of striker.

One knife that I would suggest for you that is one of the finest scandis I've ever handled is Jukka Hankala's Tuhkuri. This is a wonderfully comfortable knife to use and the workmaship is superb. It will take care of pretty much anything any other bushcraft knife will.

tuhkuri_map2c.jpg

leon-1

Geoffrey, I will be totally honest with you.

I have an Allan Blade Pack Pal Scandi, the knife and the craftmanship I have no fault with, but I live near the sea and salt is in the very air that I breath.

All high Carbon steels that I have come across would be no more than rust unless you you keep a good eye on them, which is why I trust stainless or semi stainless knives.

From what i have seen and understand a stainless knife can be a pain in the backside to maintain, but once it is sharp and sorted to your liking there are not many better tools.

Most of my previous experience has been with stainless knives in one form or another and as a straight forward Bushcraft knife I like them ( they are low maintenance once you have the profile sorted), I do like 01 tool steel but in my area you may as well have a toothpick if you do not watch it constantly.

This is only my opinion and many will jump in, but I have a couple of knives from the maker that have rusted in less than 3 days which are 01 tool steel, flint does not do that and neither do good stainless blades.

I am not a stranger to knives, I have been collecting them for years, to be honest I am a stranger to steels and thier qualities.

Some people will say that I have not taken care of the knife, but I would disagree as I still have a Knife that I bought when I was 9, I am now 36 and have kept knives for the military museum for my regiment which are a lot older (I kept them for at least 8 years), they are still in good condition.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
leon, I'm with you on stainless. I love the stuff. Anytime I plan on being in the woods for more than a couple days, I take a stainless knife. I was just reading a book on knives recently and and I was surprised at how defensive the author was about carbon steel over stainless. He said he had nothing against stainless but then seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time bashing it. I figure a steel should stand on it's own merits and if you try to elevate one by bashing another, you don't gain squat.

To give you some examples, I can't imagine my Swiss Army Ranger being made of carbon. When I was a kid, I had a bone handled multitool knife I carried for awhile and it was rust city. I've been on backpacking trips where it rained for 5 days straight. Give me a good stainless fixed blade under those conditions any day. I can't begin to make enough nose oil to keep an O1 blade from rusting under those conditions. :eek:):

Yup, I love carbon but the day and age where stainless is vastly inferior to carbon is long gone, imo. Pick the application, choose the steel, then just give 'er. :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE