Hedgehog deterent

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
A place i'm working at, at the mo, has a big problem with hedgehogs deficating around the back door. I must say, it really does stink.
Does anybody have any safe solutions for detering them (already suggested getting a fox). They have 4 kids a dog and a cat, so are not looking for anything that will cause harm to the little critters.
Many thanks folks
Baggins

Most mammals are repelled by human urine. Many of them just will not pass through where human urine has been deposited on. For example this is a well known cure for badgers coming into gardens, it should work for hedgehogs, it's worth a try. you can get chemical repellents from the garden centre but not sure how effective they are.

woodsmoke

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Don't know any cures, but are you sure its hedgehogs and not cats.....Tom cats seem to spray anywhere and everywhere........

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Aren't hedgehogs really inquisitive about smells, I remember reading a few years ago about some strange habits they have, so not sure peeing in garden would work the same as with other creatures? Not saying don't try it, just be ready for other ideas.

Does your mate have problems with slugs, something must be attracting the hedgehogs, or do they have cat/dog food outside? If it is food attracting them get rid of the food source and you should get rid of the hedgehogs.

I had an idea of an electric mat, a very low power electric fence type affair, and then saw someone else had a very similar idea to keep slugs away after he noticed they kept away from his electric train track, would something like that work?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Definately not Cat poo, plus the little critters have been seen standing in the porch, driving their dog mad on the other side of the door.
Not sure how clients will respond to builders urinating all over their garden (i suppose i beats muddy footprints up the stair carpet):D
Thanks guys
Baggins

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
It may sound really daft, but, how about a hedgehog litter tray, it won't stop the problem but it would make it more manageble.

Or open fire, cover in clay and lay on embers?

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
I think hedgehogs are what we call "woodchucks"? Eat everything in your garden?

We found an accidental cure for woodchucks. There were once a half a dozen living on our property....

After our meals in the evening I like to put the meat scraps out back of the house so that the local fox can have a snack. The fox became accustomed to coming around to see if there was a free meal - and, well, if he happened upon a woodchuck along the way...

The result? No more woodchucks! hehe.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Thats the thing, they're cute little blighters really, good for the veg patch etc. It's just the stench of their poo that is a problem (really strong and unplesant).
I'm not quite sure how you train a hedgehog to use a litter tray though, threaten to rub its nose in its mess when it misses, perhaps:rolleyes:
Baggins

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Catch them, box them up and ship them to me for on the allotment to munch the slugs that the chooks miss. Being organic is bloody hard work :rolleyes: :D

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Take a length of h'hairy string Granville, long enough to make a very low fence only about 2" high to surround the area you wish to exclude the little critters from. Soak it well in creosote or diesel and string it out, refresh every few days or after rain they should get the message.

Be sure to keep it away from plants.

Alternatively knock it on the head and bake in clay on the BBQ and send me an invite, never tried hedgehog.

Good luck Pothunter.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
I wish we had a hedgehog problem :rolleyes: - we're overrun with slugs and as we don't use chemicals, hedgehogs (and possibly a few toads) would be great!

Matt

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Most mammals are repelled by human urine. Many of them just will not pass through where human urine has been deposited on. For example this is a well known cure for badgers coming into gardens, it should work for hedgehogs, it's worth a try. you can get chemical repellents from the garden centre but not sure how effective they are.

woodsmoke

Try this. It has came in a thread on bears as well. Just put the pee in spray bottle. Supposedly it works better if it is blokes pee, as that smells stronger. Works on feral cats too esspeically if you lie in wait for them and spray at them.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE