Heating in hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
During the short but nice outing this weekend I did my first wilderness hammocking. On the train down to the town where Micheal (zie cumbrian) were supposed to pick me up I realised I had forgotten some key items, namely my wool shirt (things got a bit colder than anticipated) and my stretcher bag (which is basically a rectangular version of a sleeping bag, very similar to a underblanket, thing could hence get even colder).

Anyway, after I had ben assured that sleeping bag and sleeping mat would be fine for the around zero temps I was sitting by the fire. And suddently I got a struck by a good idea, this happens more and more seldom so I was impressed myself. Sitting by the fire, as I said, I thought that my old trick of using stones from the fire in the sleeping bag could provide some nice warmth if the temperatures plummeted. I have used this trick a lot, either with really hot stones under a raised bed or more moderately warm stones stuffed in woolen socks and tucked closed to the body under a blanket. After presenting my idea to micheal he also assured me that it was not only possible to get a nice warmth, it was also possible to get a few nice holes in my new hammock! :eek:

I wouldn't that remark get me down so a few tens of minutes before we were getting in bed I pulled out a few stones out of the fire, damn werw they hot! I settled for four stones, and had to come up with some ways of protecting my delicate skin from becoming loose from my flesh and my flesh full of blisters. My thick outer socks (knitted by my dear mother) proved to be very good stone insulators, so good that the sooty and ashy stones refused to come out in the morning. For the remaining two stones I used my gaiters. Not as good as the thicker socks, although I suspect they weren't as damaged by the stones as my woolen footwear.

As a first time hammocker I had feared that getting in to the sleeping bag, in the bivvy, in the hammock would be a challenge. As I am no stranger to challenges I decided that I would increase the stakes by not only introducing hot stones into the equation but also a slight alcohol influence and a compact darkness. Keeping two hot stones, now somewhat protected by my gaiters, in the foot end of sleeping bag, placed in inclination inside a hammock while desperately trying to crawl into the sleeping bag seemed to be quite manageable. After the initial crawling and worming around I could easily lift the sock stones of the ground and place them were I wanted them. Victory! Or so I thought.

After I had messed about and constantly moving the stones around inside my sleeping bag I found that one stone at my feet, one at my bum, and two around my torso would seem optimal. I couldn't be more precise than my torso due to the fact that those two stones were b****y hot and had to be moved constantly for the first 20 minutes. After the initial 30 minutes testing I realised that I was heat panicing in the bag and I had to open it up to get some air. After some more rearranging of clothing and stones I could close it and fell into a comfortable sleep. It was not until the early morning when three of the four stones had went cold that I awoke, and that was probably mainly due to the difference in temperature because a hour later I fell asleep again without any problems with the colder temperatures in my sleeping bag.

So if you're thinking about a way of raising the temperature in the hammock or lowering your comfort zone for hammocking I could recommend using hot stones inside your setup. Sort of at least.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll stick to my platypus thanks BS but thanks for the giggle anyway :)

How did you find the sleeping in the hammock then ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: :D

What a great way to find out :cool:
I have visions of you writhing in a hammock trying to get everything settled, trying not to get burnt and not fall out too.

Not very bushcrafty I know, but I use the little clicker heat pads when it's bitter cold when I'm camping. Bring them to a boil the next morning and they reset themselves :) One in each sock, and cuddle round a couple and it makes a tremendous difference.
Not hot stones mind you :D

cheers,
Toddy

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks for the post. I wonder if wrapping the rocks aluminium foil might help reduce heat loss? Firstly to make them a bit more comfortable to handle and secondly maybe let them heat for longer. I don't know but I'll give a go this coming week.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I should have sacrificied my wrap to the log man. That way it would probably worked out easier.
4183726147_c125f1b377_o.jpg

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
OMG I have enough trouble wriggling around in the sleeping bag, in the hammock without worrying about bivvi AND hot rocks lol.

To be honest even in November I was quite warm enough laying on the thermarest with the sleeping bag completely unzipped and wrapped round me. Maybe its all my natural padding keeping me warm ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've used the clicker pads in extreme conditions (for the uk that is, -10 or so)
If I'm out on really cold weather, I always change into fresh dry thermals before going to bed, and arrange the clothes I was wearing around me to dry them out overnight.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
nice post big_swede!
must admit for heat i use those hand warmers (clicker pads?) 3 of them strategically placed can keep you warm for a long time and as Toddy says, boil em up again in the morning and you not only have a hand warmer (unactivated) for a while but they're ready to use at night too.
saves juggling hot rocks ;)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
nice post big_swede!
must admit for heat i use those hand warmers (clicker pads?) 3 of them strategically placed can keep you warm for a long time and as Toddy says, boil em up again in the morning and you not only have a hand warmer (unactivated) for a while but they're ready to use at night too.
saves juggling hot rocks ;)

I've used the clicker pads in extreme conditions (for the uk that is, -10 or so)
If I'm out on really cold weather, I always change into fresh dry thermals before going to bed, and arrange the clothes I was wearing around me to dry them out overnight.

My experiences with the heating pads are quite limited but those I have used have gone cold in less than an hour. The stones lasted for around 6-7 hours. It all depends on your needs though. I rather use the rather fail proof rocks than anything I will have to carry and make sure doesn't go bust.

I have seen some hand warmer utilising smoldering coal rods, that could probably work in a hammock, I think they provide warmth for a bit longer than the clicker pads. Although it's still a few more other items to keep in line. Hopefully I will be able to use my stretcher bag as an underblanket, although I might settle for ground dwelling, so I can use a fire, if it gets a lot colder.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have seen some hand warmer utilising smoldering coal rods, that could probably work in a hammock, I think they provide warmth for a bit longer than the clicker pads. Although it's still a few more other items to keep in line. Hopefully I will be able to use my stretcher bag as an underblanket, although I might settle for ground dwelling, so I can use a fire, if it gets a lot colder.

I've had one of the charcoal ones since I was a kid, they're pretty good and the fuel rods are cheap enough. I usually get about 3 to 4 hours warmth from them but less when it's really cold. They should do well in a hammock though, I'll have to give it a go sometime.

Jun 5, 2006
Southport, UK
The coal stick type handwarmers give off enough CO "carbon monoxide" to be dangerous to your health. :yikes:

My wife used one and nearly passed out while driving an unheated car one winter.

You may not wake up!!!!!!:hammock::angel:

Dougoutcanoe

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
The charcoal ones never worked for me, I had them in my pockets when fishing and they always went out - maybe because of too little air getting to them.

I'd use the clicker pads, since the charcoal ones can open up if you don't put them in the little bag they come in. And that little bag prevents oxygen getting to them. But I'd hate to think of what an open charcoals heater would do to your bag and hammock.....and flesh! :tapedshut

The stones are a nice idea though, tricky but clever. I guess you'd have to lay still and not move around too much.

"Hanging hangi" ? I think that's the difference between being toasTY and toastED. :D:D:D

Last edited:
My mate has his dog in with him to keep him warm in his hammock, he gets in then holds the door open and calls her and she jumps right in and stretches out with him.

I swear by having a 1 litre Nalgene bottle fulll of hot water with me. This has the added advantage of having some warm water in the morning to cut down on the time taken to get a brew on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE