Heating in hammocks

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I've never used a hammock but have read all the hamock related posts with interest. Might be something I'll convert to.

Couldn't hot stones be placed on the ground below the hammock allowing their heat to rise from underneath?

Just a thought.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think the trick to hammocking is to mimimise the heat loss, rather than be able to generate heat through artificial means.
A hammock is a whole different set of issues to a tent or bivi, a number of issues are as follows:
1, in sleeping in the bottom of a "U" shaped bag, you place youself at the lowest point of a "cold well".
2, in order to gain ventilation, an opening above your face is necessary - though this soon becomes a chimney for all the warm air within your sleeping space.
3, even small holes created at the ends of the hammock/insulation/support points can cause a recycling of warm air out / cold air in convection or draught.
4, the balance between sufficient insulation and the risk of condensation or overheating is very delicate - the ability to adjust the insulation frm within the hammock itself is a great advantage.

I can't say that what works for me will work for other folk, but its like treating the whole thing as a scientific experiment, with constant little adjustments to see if things change, keeping the bits that make the most difference and discarding those that have negative effects.

That said, I'm keeping the hot stone trick in mind for when conditions dictate!

Have fun experimenting!

Ogri the trog

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
guys warmth for me is a simple solution that consists (and it might not work for every one) of a hammock, underblanket, foam roll mat, silk sleeping bag liner, snugpack antarctic RE with genuine issue bivi bag round that. now thats toasty

now then if it got deathly cold what i would do is heat some water in my 58 pat water bottle and then put that in my bag and be toasty again

but will definatly keep the hot rocks in mind

drew

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
hi all every one is going on about layers, hot rocks/ and so on why not just lower the set up drop one side of your tarp then have a fire with a reflector. works well try it.

guys warmth for me is a simple solution that consists (and it might not work for every one) of a hammock, underblanket, foam roll mat, silk sleeping bag liner, snugpack antarctic RE with genuine issue bivi bag round that. now thats toasty

now then if it got deathly cold what i would do is heat some water in my 58 pat water bottle and then put that in my bag and be toasty again

but will definatly keep the hot rocks in mind

drew

You mean its actually possible to get cold with that set up............lol:)

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
When winter camping I often fill my Nalgene bottles (usually 2 of them) with hot water, screw the tops on tight and use them as hot water bottles in the sleeping bag - one for the torso and one for the feet. Of course, you can wrap them up in a jumper or sock if they are too hot initially. They stay warm for a good long while and, as a bonus, make sure that you've got drinkable water for a brew first thing. This can be real handy if you're somewhere really cold and your water would otherwise freeze.
Cheers
Rat

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
When winter camping I often fill my Nalgene bottles (usually 2 of them) with hot water, screw the tops on tight and use them as hot water bottles in the sleeping bag - one for the torso and one for the feet. Of course, you can wrap them up in a jumper or sock if they are too hot initially. They stay warm for a good long while and, as a bonus, make sure that you've got drinkable water for a brew first thing. This can be real handy if you're somewhere really cold and your water would otherwise freeze.
Cheers
Rat
I do the same but wrap mine in my shemagh.:)

As you have said good for drinking water in the morning and stops it freezing too.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi,i use a s-boston hand warmer it run's on lighter fluid or panel wipe ( i use a primus multi fuel stove, so i already have the fuel) one fill will last 24 hours at 75c. about £26 but worth it. later carl

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
When winter camping I often fill my Nalgene bottles (usually 2 of them) with hot water, screw the tops on tight and use them as hot water bottles in the sleeping bag - one for the torso and one for the feet. Of course, you can wrap them up in a jumper or sock if they are too hot initially. They stay warm for a good long while and, as a bonus, make sure that you've got drinkable water for a brew first thing.

The one thing that worries me about that is the lid coming off in the night while I'm asleep. If the water is very hot you could be badly burned and at best you'd have wet bedding. But my main reason for chipping in is to say that speaking scientifically, water does have a lot going for it. The heat capacity of water per unit mass is way bigger than anything else you're likely to have so for a given amount of 'stuff', water will keep you hotter for longer. For example, water has a heat capacity about eight times greater than steel, five times higher than granite and three times more than clay. Those comparisons refer to weight, and probably in this application volume is a fairer comparison since you're unlikely to be lugging a sack of nails or stones around with you. Water isn't so dense, but by volume it still wins by a factor of more than two over granite and about 50% over clay. It's about the same as steel by volume although you can't drink the steel in the morning and you probably won't be able to find a convenient lump lying on the ground. Water can get dangerously hot, but nothing like as hot as metals and and rocks can - as we've heard.

The upshot of all this is that I take a couple of hot water bottles with me when I camp in cold weather. My SO made them nice tailored jackets and I stay toasty warm all night. :) Without jackets or some other insulation around them, in a sleeping bag you're much too hot at first and they're nearly cold by morning, when I find I a bit of a lift before I crawl out of bed very welcome. Getting technical again, I think I need ten watts or so if the conditions aren't too bad. You can easily get that out of a hot water bottle. For comparison I have a heated jacket for the bike and it gives about 40 watts flat out, which in my winter bike gear (its insulation performance is similar to that of a sleeping bag) is too hot at freezing point with a 100mph wind chill. A human at rest gives off about 80 watts.

Apart from lugging it to the camp site (which doesn't bother me, I travel by motorcycle for most of the camping I do) the only trouble with a proper hot water bottle is that you can't drink the water in the morning. If you want to do that you could use say a 2 litre bottle like the ones they sell water in, but the water wouldn't have to be too hot when you fill it or the bottle would go all wriggly.

Finally a hot water bottle is great for airing damp clothes. Just wrap the damp clothes (or sleeping bag or whatever) around it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE