Heating a tentipi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Hi, I got a new Tentipi Kvarts 7 Light recently, and I'm looking to do some trips in it fairly soon, so I've been reviewing my options for heating it. Having read other threads here, it seems (as I suspected) that open fires create a major smoke problem. As an experiment I've made a simple fire box out of an old mini-keg, but I don't think this will be the answer long term.

HeatPal: I got one of these with the tipi. I tried it out in the tipi on a coolish (3-4C) night in the garden. Even after 20 minutes, it just didn't seem to make any difference, and didn't seem to be putting out any appreciable heat. I could feel some heat if I put my hand directly over it, but that just seemed to rise up and out the top vent. There didn't seem to be any "radiated" heat. Am I doing something wrong? It was on a full tank and the control thingy was open all the way.

Firebox: The accepted wisdom seems to be that smoke will be a problem. Anyone have any good experiences or tips to make this work? I like the simplicity. I was thinking of using charcoal to make a cleaner burn, but there seems to be some concern over carbon monoxide. Is there more risk with charcoal than with wood?

Stove: The stoves that Tentipi sells look great, but soooo expensive. I have friends in America who say they can get me a Kifaru stove, and it should work out cheaper. But the Kvarts doesn't have the heat resistant fabric the Kifaru tipis have - does anyone have suggestions for protecting the fabric against the heat of the chimney - I guess I'm looking for something like a heat resistant collar?

Thanks for any suggestions, I really want to get out in my tipi, I just don't want to freeze my butt off - I can do that in my tent any time I like!

Cheers,
Nohoval

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Re:- chimmney heat.
All you need is a plummers solder matt which is fire resistant. Work out where you want the chimney to go out and cut out a square 1" smaller than the mat,and sow it in place then just cut a X in the centre of the mat so it is a tight fit to get the pipe through and away you go.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I am sure that those with more experience in heating Tipis will help but I found that I solved the smoke problems from a firebox by keeping the door shut.

The smoke then went straight up and out the top. With the tent door open the smoke swirled around the tent. I only ever did this a couple of times, so don't really know if this typical.

For wood burning stoves you could have a look at this Song of the Paddle thread:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5040-Stove-options-for-tents-a-compilation

Graham

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I am sure that those with more experience in heating Tipis will help but I found that I solved the smoke problems from a firebox by keeping the door shut..."

My experience with fireboxes mirrors that of myotis.

I've owned a Varrie since 2006, living in it through a winter, spring and summer and have yet to find the ideal stove.

Knocking one up yourself may be the way to go, however if the idea of importing one from the US appeals, these ranges look quite nice.

Kni-Co

Cylinder Stoves

I have no experience of the current Tentipi stoves, however I have been witness to one of the earlier range failing quite badly (the bottom dropped out) during a cold night in Sweden. I own one of the Zeltofen stoves and don't rate it (although its design may be more suitable for use in the far north where birch may burn hotter and faster than the woods I use around here). The best stove I have used so far is the Helsport one, that is the one I use these days.

:)

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
My experience :

A firebox is OK if the fire is kept hot, the firewood is really small and you get the draw of the fire just right - and seems to work better in big tipis - My Varrie 9 is just about OK but my Varrie 5 is hopeless with a firebox. Mind you, the smaller the tipi the less there is to heat and a good pressure lantern will probably do the job (watch for CO) unless it's really cold.

Stoves are a much better bet but much less portable. I use the Mad Bear Outdoor stove available here in the UK, it's crude, goes rusty but really does the job. Sweltering inside even when its freezing out ! I think it's a copy of the Helsport stove.

NS

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
First of all, thanks for all the replies; plenty to ponder.

UKdave, plumbers solder mat sounds like the way to go alright. My tipi has an adjustable vent at the top, so I don't think I'll need to cut anything, it should just be a question of sticking the chimney through the existing hole. I'm not sure how I'm going to integrate the plumber's mat with that plan, but I'll figure something out.

Myotis, Sandbender & Nonsuch, it sounds like a firebox is workable but needs to be just right, and will take careful tending. I think I'll try it for the first time and see how it goes. But long term I think I'll be getting a stove. That Song of the Paddle link has good info, so thanks Myotis.

Thanks again for all the info!

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Hi UK Dave

Have actually done this ? Because I have a similar issue I've got a Tundra 8 tipi and a Four Dog stove from the States and have been toying with the idea of fitting a stove jack for the flue.
But the the thought of taking a knife; inflicting a gaping hole in my tipi and to then try and sow a jack in and render it water tight, fray proof and usable puts me off.

If you've done it any tips would be appreciated. :)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
If you know a welder he might be able to knock you something uo like this fairly cheep buddy.
Picture1968.jpg

Picture1964.jpg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"... the the thought of taking a knife; inflicting a gaping hole in my tipi and to then try and sow a jack in and render it water tight, fray proof and usable puts me off.

The idea of cutting away at my tipi doesn't appeal :eek: The Hellsport stove is supplied with an insulation pipe/spark arrester which although not wholly weather tight does prevent the chimney (which can become very hot) from damaging the tent fabric.

Additionally you should bear in mind are that in strong winds the top of the tipi can jump around a fair bit so whichever solution you opt for, ensure that it will take the strain.

Last edited:

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
another one for you to ponder

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/stoves.html

I have the large titanium stove and an 11' flue - pack down to nothing and weighs under 4lbs

They will also cut you a heatproof skirt to sew into your tipi - stove boots they call 'em - you'll note they have a velco'd flap on them for covering up when not using the stove too...

Or they can make you a baffle - which insulates the tent fabric from the flue - again packs down to virtually nothing.

Good folk and I recommend giving them a call

Last edited:

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
If weight isn't an issue then these look nice, and they sell a roof flashing (heat resistant collar) too.

From all accounts these are excellent stoves, I work with someone who has two (Wendy and Louis) that they use in their house.

And search on the SOTP forum will find some threads (it may be only one or two, I just remember them being discussed) on using them in Tipis, including responses from the maker.

Graham

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Hi UK Dave

Have actually done this ? Because I have a similar issue I've got a Tundra 8 tipi and a Four Dog stove from the States and have been toying with the idea of fitting a stove jack for the flue.
But the the thought of taking a knife; inflicting a gaping hole in my tipi and to then try and sow a jack in and render it water tight, fray proof and usable puts me off.

I havn`t, but I know a man who has!! and a very good job of it to.

I am going to be doing it,but only to an Argos tipi so if it goes wrong its not a problem!
Anyway the way to do it is find where you want the chimney to go,mark a small "X" at the centre point and then double and triple check thats the correct place then (deep breath) cut a bigger X (use a piece of paper to work out how big the X will be, it should allow the chimney to pull through easily and +1" longer and remember the side if the tipi is approx 45degrees to the chimney)then mark the centre point on the plumbers mat and cut a cross,this time it should be a tight fit for the chimney,once that is done then all you have to do is sow the mat over/under the cut out and tidy it up.When i do it i will be doing all the cutting and marking but will be taking it to a seamstress for them to do it properly.

Its a very simple job to do and shouldnt take more tham 1/2hr and because the mat is fiberglass or something then it will shead rain so thats not a problem either.

sorry about the poor explaination,its been a long day

Muncus

Hi

I have recently been thinking about investing in a tent and stove. However I found the price of stoves very off putting, as a result I did a bit of research and got round to thinking that I would be better of building my own stove.

I had been looking at the Soulpad Blaze and the Flue Kit, but after some digging around online I found the flashing here and then figured that I could make a flu from spiral ducting, then just get a box fabricated for the stove.

I don't really think that making your own stove would be rocket science, and you would be able to make something that suited your needs perfectly.

James

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
If weight isn't an issue then these look nice, and they sell a roof flashing (heat resistant collar) too.

I've been saving my pennies for a varrie 7cp and will hopefully get one this year and the Windy Smithy stoves are right at the top of my list. They look heavy, the Wendy looks spot on and at 14kg it's no lightweight, but who cares if it's going in the back of the Landy?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've been saving my pennies for a varrie 7cp and will hopefully get one this year and the Windy Smithy stoves are right at the top of my list. They look heavy, the Wendy looks spot on and at 14kg it's no lightweight, but who cares if it's going in the back of the Landy?

If your landy is as old as mine then you could probably use it to heat the vehicle too.

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE