Heating a tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If it is really cold a hot water bottle takes the chill off the bag, I don't sleep with it though, it gets in the way.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
2l pop bottle filled with hot (not boiling) water is wonderful, a real camping indulgence :) Plus you still have warm water for a fast brew in the morning. For heating a big tent I use several methods, Coleman/Vapalux lantern, Heatpal alcohol heater/stove or just light a stove...just ensure ventilation.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Hot rocks and water bottles are a real life saver when you dont have your shelter + sleep system combination quite right for the local conditions and over on Youtube "Reallybigmonkey1" has documeted his tent heating experiments worth a watch for inspiration.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I'm building a stove to warm the tent. It has several benefits. I can play cards in the winter (warmer fingers without gloves), it drives out the damp and most importantly of all, I've got somewhere to put on a cuppa. I wouldn't fry on it in a tent though.

If your tent is big enough buy a Frontier Stove, I have just bought one from Anevay for £240 that includes water heater as well, there are also other attachements if you want the flue pipe to go through the roof of your tent.

The first time I used one of these was when my wife and I stayed in a Yurt the amount of heat the stove gave was over-powering too hot and that was on a large Yurt, other than that if I was wild Camping and it was cold I would fill up an alluminium drinks bottle with hot water and put it in a couple of socks and put it in the sleeping bag about half an hour before bed, that should keep you nice and snug for the night! leave it in the bag and keep it at your feet and if your feet are warm so will the rest of your body, it always works for me.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
My preference for heating a shelter is a UL backpackable woodstove. Really it's the only thing that will add substantial heat and is sustainable in the field IMHO. I do trust candle lanterns to some degree in certain tents but not vented flame within a zipped up shelter can be a risky proposition. My mini candle lantern doing it's thing during a late winter outing.

Jun 9, 2011
suffolk
I have a frontier stove.
It's ok but there are a few design faults.
the main one is that the door goes up too high on the front and the smoke has a choice of the flue or the door to escape. When starting the fire , it's easier to go out the door. Not good. The draw isn't helped by the narrow flue, which needs cleaning far more often than other stoves.
better than an open fire.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
+1 for the ultralight packable SS/Ti stoves (Kifaru/Seekoutside/TiGoat etc). In a good tent with proper stove jack these will keep you warm, dry wet/damp clothes, work as a cooking stove, and only add 3lb or so to your packout, including the roll-up chimney.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I have always found that one or two candles (one in a lantern, the other in a secure holder but open) to be entirely adequate for taking the chill off the inside of a smallish tent, although not for use while sleeping. The inside of my tent will invariably be damp when I wake up, mainly from condensation, and using the candles pretty much eliminates that problem by the time I'm ready to roll out for good. Besides, the candles are necessary for light.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE