Heads Up: New RM "Bushcraft Knife" made by SWC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
myraymearsbushcraftknif.jpg

myraymearsbushcraftknifu.jpg

myraymearsbushcraftknifc.jpg

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
the handle on the AW appears broader and the choil is more square.
I agree with Mark in that the blade looks slightly broader in the SWC version.
is the wilky any different?

Yes to the handle and choil definitely, as for the WS, that's off getting a new sheath made for it so you'll have to wait for that answer. :)

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
I just got my SWC Bushcrafter in the post and it feels a great knife....

P1000900.jpg

The design of the handle is very comfortable....and it comes hair popping sharp...the spine is nicely squared as well and should throw a good shower of sparks from a ferro rod...dimension wise it is vitrually exactly the same as the Woodlore...save for the size of the grips...

P1000901.jpg

P1000903.jpg

The Woodlore has more depth on the grips and fills the hand more but the Bushcraft Knife is equally comfortable in hand and both are well suited for long periods of work.... plenty of control and comfort....

The Woodlore just slightly has an edge which is closer to the handle...they are both very close....but the Woodlore just nudges the SWC for closeness .... ofcourse they both afford a good "fine work" ability without having to choke up on the blade .... which is one of the main advantages with these style of knives and all told the SWC should deliver all the performance anyone could want.

However if I were to consider the asthetics of the knives...and this applies to both...they are a bit "Plain Jane" on looks...the wood on the SWC is heavily "lined" or "grained" and definately reminds you of a church pew or one of the old style school desks...a good nice "hard" wood...you cannot make any finger nail compression marks in the wood no matter how hard you try and press...which is a good sign for longevity and hard use....and is better than you often get with some of the other "prettier" woods ... but for the money you might well think you should get something a little bit "more"...
whilst I am all for "not depleting" natural resources...you rather feel that the savings made by using woods such as these are not really being passed down the line to the buyer...

If you consider that for just slightly more money you can get some great asthetics on knives such as Mick Wardell's damascus Bushcrafter...

100_0074-1.jpg

You do feel like you are being a bit of a "martyr" to your principals with the "plainness" of these knives... although this is just a cosmetic point and I am sure the SWC knife will perform as well as any other... my Woodlore certainly does...and that is the main thing is'nt it??

Maybe makes you realise though why Ray prefers Antler grips :)... I know I would too...

W

waldorf

i know Because i do some work in a forge producing custom blades, i know the prices they are sold for and how much work is put into making them (alot compared to stock removal), the Statement comes from first hand experience rather than a recourse.

the price will be determined by what the smith wants for it, through out the ages different smiths claimed "super sharp blades" and "secret techniques", these where for nothing other than marketing, when in reality its possible to produce 10 hand forged laminated puukko blades in a day.

stock removal blades take less work to produce, yet produce high qualty results.
the quality of a forged blade is detremined by the smith.

ATB
Josh

Josh you may do some work in a forge and I`m not questioning the problems encountered when trying to make a forged blade properly.
IMO generally the prices of both forged and stock removal knives can be very similar, until factors like Name, Reputation and unique workmanship enter into the equation.
The point that I am getting at is that you made a comment stating that Forged blades are worth more. A comment that I have to totally disagree with.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Josh you may do some work in a forge and I`m not questioning the problems encountered when trying to make a forged blade properly.
IMO generally the prices of both forged and stock removal knives can be very similar, until factors like Name, Reputation and unique workmanship enter into the equation.
The point that I am getting at is that you made a comment stating that Forged blades are worth more. A comment that I have to totally disagree with.

i agree, the prices differ quite a bit, but alot more work goes into a forged blade.
and as you said, its the makers reputation that sells the blade, for example, if a newbie to knife making such as myself made a hand forged blade, and put it for sale alongside say a AW stock removed blank, the blank would be worth alot more.

Reputation is a hard thing to aquire in this knife making game, i suppose the best way of earning reputation these days would be to provide great service for a top quality product, a flashy website helps aswell :)

I withdraw my comment that forged blades are worth more on the whole, what i do mean though is that alot more work goes into making them, the smith is working with the microstructure of the steel aswell as shaping, tiwsting, welding and folding the steel to produce the pattern weld.

ATB
Josh

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
is the swc going to to be available in micarta and if so i want one.
i just cant bring myself to use my ws micarta come to think of it aint used my bbk either.
or my bearclaw also think i would like a micarta spyderco.
if they do a blade option will have to get one and have it scaled in black linen

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well it is a nice knife, shame about the 'branding'. It would have looked much better, without the 'ray mears bushcraft' tag, with just the logo instead.
Mr Mears' management team, could do just as well, with a bit less commercial B.S. and a bit more subtlety imho

Nice to see woodlore finally getting a manufacturer sorted out mind you.

Ultimately; I'd rather have a knife custom made, for that money, particularly as I don't get on with the woodlore anyway.

R.B.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's good to see another alternative to the long wait on the AW version. The branding shouldn't be much of an issue to a user as the blacking will soon fade to the steel beneath and become unobtrusive. To collectors though, the branding is a bonus.

I wish they would release a factory version though. In micarta.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Am I correct that the new RM/SWC knife was only on the Woodlore website one day and is already sold out?? I still want one!!

The knife looks very well made, as I would expect and the slight taper to the tang is a nice touch as well.

Maybe someday I will git me one! I am an easy mark for anything sharp and shiny. Cheers!

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
The AW Woodlore knives are not all the same..

The earlier ones are thinner in the blade depths and do not have the tapered tang..

The latest ones, the ones that I have seen, are thicker in the blade depth, tapered tang etc..

Other differences are where the sharpened scandi grind begins, again they are different on the AW's I have.

Ive had a few and they are all different, so to compare the AW version to the SWC version you cant really do..

You can only compare a particular AW to a particular SWC..

The two SWC that arrived today are not identical, there are differences, and there should be, as they are hand made and therefore cannot possibly be all the same..

:rolleyes:

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
as for there being a required market for this type of knife it is out of the question.
pretty much every uk custom maker has their own version of the woodlore or a similar knife for sale, not only customs we have Gary mills, sheffeild Woodlore clones, Enzo Trappers and countless others. people after a bushcraft knife are spoilt for choice, so its not excatly a revolutionary thing.

you also hinted that my experience is limited to whittling in the Garden, you dont even know me, so please dont make shots like that.

So buy a spyderco if you want, im sure it will make a great bushcraft knife, its just not for me.

You're right. I don't know anything about your experience. I apologise.

I meant full tang scandi production knives. To my knowledge, there's the enzo trappers aaaaand that's about it.
Not everyone can afford the time or cost for a custom knife.

Also, I don't feel that spyderco has "cashed in" on the bushcraft scene. To my knowledge, no bushcraft schools or custom makers are providing free services, or doing it just for the love of the job.

As regards the exorbitant prices on the spyderco in the UK, why not buy from the states?

Thankyou to everyone who posted pics of the new SWC knives. They look great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE