Heads or tails? Hammock dilemma

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
Hi guys,
I have never used a hammock until now to sleep outdoors and now I want to try. :hammock:
Anyway, since I don't know how much I will like this new way of camping, I don't want to spend too much money and I have restricted my choice between two models, the 2010 DD Travel hammock and the Tenth Wonder Green Hornet.
These are my choices because of the price and the availability on Ebay from UK sellers (no custom problems with Italy, small shipping fee, fast delivery).
From the same sellers (good reputation for both) I will buy also a new Tarp (bot the Sargasso and the DD one seem nice and cheap).

Well now I have to decide, but they're so similar that I don't know what to do..
Both have a double bottom layer, waterproof, so they can be insulated with a pad and used also as bivi bag, the DD one has velcro strips to close the two bottom layers, the Hornet has a zip (plus 1 for the latest).
The DD has a double zip to close the mosquito net, and the Hornet only one (plus 1 for the DD).
The price is almost the same, about ten euros more for the DD, so here it's a draw, but I must say that I like the Sargasso tarp a little more.
The Hornet has waterproof tissue at the ends of the mosquito net, that can be useful under heavier rain, so we have one more point and a small advantage for the Hornet.

First of all one question: the waterproof bottom layer can cause condensation?

Anyone have tried both them and can give me some hints?

Thank you very much!
Cheers
Paolo

PS
As you may have noticed, English is not my native language, so if something in my posts doesn't sound right, please let me know :eek:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Both are not breathable.
Using either as a bivy bag can cause lots of condensation, but are fine for emergency use or as a bug bivy under the tarp.
I can only speak for the DD travel, and recommend it to anybody-they are well made and good value.

It would be very easy to take a piece of lightweight waterproof cloth, and safety pin it to the bugnet of the DD to stop rain coming through the bugnet. I have done lots of night now in heavy rain and wind and have not had an issue with this yet.
When It's hot and buggy, the extra ventilation of the DD mesh will probably be welcome.

If you carry a poncho, this can be suspended above the hammock on another line, and draped over the bugnet, giving loads of extra warmth and rain protection-If you get wet with this set-up, your hangin in a hurricane!

Hope this helps. :)

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I went for the Green Hornet as my friends had the DD hammocks, and thought it would be an ideal opportunity to compare them.
From comparing them, the Green Hornet appears wider at the shoulders - the DD seemed to bunch up more at the shoulders.
As you say, there are plusses and minuses to both. As has been pointed out, a zip on both sides of the DD allow you to fully open the mozi net and tie it up.

A friend has borrowed the Green Hornet (he normally has a DD) this weekend. if you can hang on a day or so, i'll ask him to post a full review.

Snozz

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I bought a DD travel hammock and did have quite a bit of condensation in it. I tend to sleep on my side a lot so I'm guessing it was my breath causing it. I use a down sleeping bag so I changed to the DD Frontline and have had no problems with that one.

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
i got a tenth wonder hammock very well made only thing i found was i had to change the webbing for longer ones otherwise a good bit of kit

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Friend has spent the day with both hammocks and taken loads of pics. Review shortly

Snozz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE