having a bash at a homemade forge...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hi guys...I am thinking of trying my hand at making a small forge, and was just wondering if this small beer keg would be up to the job. There are no indications what it is made of so I was wondering if anyone has made a forge with this kind of thing?? It was once used to hold about 10 pints of ale so its not on e of the bigger, heavier kegs...many thanks...

IMG-20110519-01096.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
assuming it is steel and not aluminium, then yes you could turn it into a small forge. Are you thinking solid fuel or gas? would work either way, there are lots of pics online for inspiration

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
hi dave, thanks for the advice. i was thinking solid fuel, then fitting an airline into the bottom to acheive temperature. The walls of the keg are relativly thin, say 1.5/2mm max, is this sufficient? cheers...

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi Paul. I had one of these left over at a party last year. I considered using it as a forge but made it into a stove in the end.

I think it would work pretty well. I think they are steel but don't quote me on that.

All the best
Andy

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
hi paul,

ive made a forge out of a cylinder very much like this and it works very well with charcoal. what i did was cut it in the middle length ways and then put the two back together with a hinge on one side, much like a barbecue. Then i drilled a hole in the bottom half big enough to accept a 2 inch pipe which i had drilled holes in, the pipe went right the way to the end of the keg and stuck out the front about 12 inches. I built up fire cement underneath the pipe and up around the sides to hold the heat in and stop it buirning though the sides, i went for a sort of rounded "v" shape on the inside. then leave it overnight to dry and light a small fire inside it to help it dry out.

it worked really well! i gave it to my friend as a birtthday present, i'll see if he can get some photos for you.

nathan

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
hi andy...

a stove will be what the next one will be turned into...just the job of emptying it! oh well...

how is your stove holding up to the heat?

cheers,
Paul.

Only used it a few times. My nephew tends to play with it, so it gets all sorts put in there. I put a pipe in the hole at the bottom to act as a chimney. Then cut the top off.

It copes with the heat perfectly well as far as I can see. It is back in Dorset so no pics I'm afraid.

All the best
Andy

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the hot bit of the fire will be concentrated in the middle of the vessel, so it should be OK from that point of view. Just build the bed from something refractory like castable refractory from a pottery kiln suppliers, clay with ash/sand in it, etc. The tuyere is the most likely bit to burn away forst since it is in direct contact with high temperatures and excess oxygen, but they are always consumable.

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
for a simple forge a biscuit tin or bbq would work
personally i would make a wood burner
however there may be a good way to make it into a forge

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
hi paul,

ive made a forge out of a cylinder very much like this and it works very well with charcoal. what i did was cut it in the middle length ways and then put the two back together with a hinge on one side, much like a barbecue. Then i drilled a hole in the bottom half big enough to accept a 2 inch pipe which i had drilled holes in, the pipe went right the way to the end of the keg and stuck out the front about 12 inches. I built up fire cement underneath the pipe and up around the sides to hold the heat in and stop it buirning though the sides, i went for a sort of rounded "v" shape on the inside. then leave it overnight to dry and light a small fire inside it to help it dry out.

it worked really well! i gave it to my friend as a birtthday present, i'll see if he can get some photos for you.

nathan
Is the "lid" to keep the heat in as I like to see the steel while it's heating, or so it looks better when not in use?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE