Has anyone experienced Rab down bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I have been looking at the Rab down bags in the shop the other day and was really impressed. The Quantum 600 weighs 900 odd grams, and folds down to about 25x15cm, which is about the size of a fully compressed and halve folded thermalite 2.5cm thick kip mat. That's small for a sleeping bag. Bu tthe impressive thing is that this 4 season down bag is rated down to -12. It certainly feels it in the shop, and is featherweight with a Pertex outer. It's so good, that I am willing to fork out the £250 odd asking price.

The question is though, has anyone tried them and do they live up to the hype? I'm a cold sleeper but want ultra light weight but don't mind paying for it if i have to. £250 for a lifetime bag is worth it to me if it is as good as it seems.

Comments?

dave1942

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 15, 2005
Hemel Hempstead
I have had a 650gram Rab duckdown bag for the last 10years and I have found to be very good. Although it is only rated as a 3 season bag I have found it more than adequate in the winter months, but I am a fairly warm sleeper and use a tent. Rab equipment may seem to be expensive but the quality is good. Ive also got a Rab duvet jacket that has also seen good service but is still as warm as ever.
If you go for a Rab bag try www.completeoutdoors.co.uk as they are selling for £238 with free P&P

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
They're pretty top notch. I'm more than happy with mine and service is usually good if you need them repairing/ restuffing etc in the future. If you have any specific requirements (eg less or more down, larger size), then just give them a ring.

T

TimB

I have the RAB Atlas 1000 bag, bought it 12 years ago for £180 and after loads of use and abuse the zip finally broke :O(
I spoke to RAB and mailed it back to them, they are going to replace the zip, patch a small hole that has been gaffa taped up for the last 7 years, wash it and return it for only £50!!
It's a great bag, they simply last for ages!!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
~ yup great bags - Till i washed it in down shampoo, never been the same since. :(
Send it off to be cleaned when the time comes and invest in a nice silk sleeping bag liner to prolong the duration between washes.

Cheers
Rich

M

magicaltrevor

Just a quick note.
If you're thinking of using it outside i.e. no tent and under a basha. It might be worth investing the Endurance outer layer (extra couple of quid), adds a smidgen to the weight but the outside is more waterproof. Some people have said that there is a bit extra condensation produced due to the lower breathability but it's negligible. I toyed with getting the Quantum 600 Endurance, for the weight it's the dogs! Still unsure if I want a synthetic or down bag (I have a ME down bag but it's far too warm for this country!).

Oh, and I second the advice to get a silk liner. Absolutely essential with a down bag as they're more expensive to wash and it stops it getting too dirty and smelly. My down bag currently smells like a wet dog! :D

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
[. My down bag currently smells like a wet dog! :D[/QUOTE]

Huh! You're lucky. My down bag (An Atlas 500 - Great bag BTW) smells of *me*, no self respecting dog would go near it....

Simon

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
not only are they fantastic bags but they have the best compression system i have seen, i have never seen it better though lately i have seen it copyed in a few places!

you do pay top wak for them but you really get what you pay for!

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
tomtom said:
not only are they fantastic bags but they have the best compression system i have seen, i have never seen it better though lately i have seen it copyed in a few places!

you do pay top wak for them but you really get what you pay for!

you should never compress a sleeping bag - this is a surefire way of damaging the insulation (disaterously quickly in the case of synthetic fills). Bags should be carried loosly packed at the top of a backpack and completely loose at home (eg in a large pillow case to allow full lofting)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That's not real practical for packing though, is it? One, an uncompressed bag takes up too much valuable pack space; two, having the bag ot the top of your pack means you need to take it out before you can get to anything else. My bag is the last thing that comes out of the pack when I pitch camp.

I certainly agree that they shouldn't be stored compressed though. I hang mine up.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
CM Burns said:
you should never compress a sleeping bag - this is a surefire way of damaging the insulation (disaterously quickly in the case of synthetic fills). Bags should be carried loosly packed at the top of a backpack and completely loose at home (eg in a large pillow case to allow full lofting)

i just follow the instructions that the sleeping bag came with, it comes with two bags, one which is about 130ltrs like a big cotton bin bag which is what they suggest it is stored in, it is under no pressure, then i pack it in the compression sack when i take it out in the field, this is how i have done in for the last 4-5 years and i have noticed no reduction in performance, also if i carried it as you suggest i would have probably have to use a 100ltr+ backpack this would be a considerable hindrance, not to mention increase the chances of the sleeping bag getting wet which really is damaging to a down bag.

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
I have used Rab bags and always been very impressed. If you wanted to consider alternatives, I have a Moutain Equipment bag that is excellent. I bought it around 14years ago for £125 in a sale and it have never failed me, 1000g fill so is very warm.
I also own a summer down bag made by Haglofs bought 3years (another sale item - £100), very small pack size and warm for the weight. The only difficults are it has no zip so for those with broad shoulders getting in and out is fussy. Also there is less down on the base, to save weight (this is always compressed so relies on a sleeping mat for insulation), but if you roll over in the night, it can get a bit cold.

Search your outdoor shop for sale items after Xmas, that is where to get the best deals on down bags. :)

RJP

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
tomtom said:
i just follow the instructions that the sleeping bag came with, it comes with two bags, one which is about 130ltrs like a big cotton bin bag which is what they suggest it is stored in, it is under no pressure, then i pack it in the compression sack when i take it out in the field, this is how i have done in for the last 4-5 years and i have noticed no reduction in performance, also if i carried it as you suggest i would have probably have to use a 100ltr+ backpack this would be a considerable hindrance, not to mention increase the chances of the sleeping bag getting wet which really is damaging to a down bag.

sounds like most people here are carrying way too much gear if there is no room in their backpack for a loosly stuffed sleeping bag :rolleyes:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Depends on what size of pack you're carrying and how long you're out for. I'd like to see you get more than a week's worth of provisions and kit suitable for mountain use in a pack of less than 75L with an uncompressed bag. ;)

Edit: and I mean a decent 4-season bag, not a 1-season ultralight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE