Has anyone caught any 'nasties' from water.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you boil water properly, that is a good rolling boil for a couple of minutes, you shouldnt have any problems.

All you need to do it get it to about 90degC to kill off everything... however not a loty of folks carry a thermometer with them so getting it to a rolling boil is best then take it off as you'll be wasting fuel.

I heard that you have to let the water boil over the container rim to get any bacteria or whatever off the rim so you will not become sick.

No need.... the pot is the same temperature, to with a degree or two, of the boiling water so the outside of the pot will be sterile.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Maybe if you supect the water and your container to be severely contaminated....

Under normal circumstances a good boil will sort the water and the rising steam should see to the container :)

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
What can I throw in while it's boiling to give it more flavour, although I actually like council pop...

I heard pine leave are great, but my luck I will throw yew leaves in there, ahah.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Ohh yeah, damn I'm stupid.

No, because you're asking questions rather than insisting you know it all already.

I've read sorrel makes a nice drink but I've never found it (not looked all that hard, mind). You can also use rosehips but nettle tea is surprisingly nice - just don't make it too strong

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
All you need to do it get it to about 90degC to kill off everything... however not a loty of folks carry a thermometer with them so getting it to a rolling boil is best then take it off as you'll be wasting fuel...

Almost. If you're at altitude wayer will boil at a cooler temp due to the reduced pressure. Over about 8000-10000 feet best to let it boil a couple more minutes to be sure you've reach temp.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If it's boiling it won't get any hotter regardless of how long you heat it for. That's why you'd need a pressure cooker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE