Harvest time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The figs are coming regularly now.

Figs by British Red, on Flickr

A warm for, straight off the tree is one of my wife's favourite things :)

Wow! My idea of heaven I love figs. Back when I was a kid you couldn't really get fresh figs so when I was asked what I'd like for my birthday it was usually a clootie dumpling and a tin of figs. (Simpler times :D )
The first time I had fresh ones was a family member coming back from abroad; they brought me a couple of apricots and fresh figs back. My first fresh ones of either. Heaven.
Figs, good cheese and some nuts, I'd sit down to that any day. How old is the tree that that's producing them if I can ask? Grown indoors?
Also like the iconography of figs in paintings, a beautiful fruit, you're a lucky chap.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We could grow them outdoors Colin, but they dislike the wind here, they are pot grown and moved in and out of the greenhouses. Trees are eight years old but have been fruiting a while.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Cracking stuff! All our stuff is a while off yet, we're like 800ft above sea level- rhubarb is close but strawbs could be a few weeks yet :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Things are coming in thick and fast right now

Carrots can be had every day

Carrots for freezing by British Red, on Flickr

Trying to get all the shallots and onions strung to clear drying racks for the second flush

Shallot string by British Red, on Flickr

Blueberries are coming through now. BB loves Bluerries :)

Home grown blueberries by British Red, on Flickr

Trying to eat as much fresh as we can. This was lunch the other day.

Self sufficient lunch by British Red, on Flickr

Cherry tomatoes roasted with garlic, a whole head of garlic roasted and drizzled in olive oil, home made brown bread and the last of the first early spuds cut into wedges and roasted with herbs. Simple food, but we like it.

The morello cherries are incredible this year - so ripe they pluck clean off the stalk oozing juice

Cherries by British Red, on Flickr

I want to try making cherry brandy so I got out the cherry stoner - I don't want the almond taste of the stones

cherry stoner by British Red, on Flickr

Stoning cherries is a messy job, so do it over something wipe clean

Cherries in jar by British Red, on Flickr

I've added no sugar to these, I don't think it will be needed. Just luscious cherries and brandy

Cherry Brandy by British Red, on Flickr

No idea how it will turn out, but its fun to experiment!

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
We've had success and failures here...
Some nice red gooseberries which I'd like to increase...carrots are getting there.. onions pulled a few the others are going to be pulled soon.
The beans didn't germinate so had to put in more runners that are now late, only one french bean germinated which I'm gutted about.
The parsnips are doing well and I'm nearly there on harvesting the seed from those I've left.
The toms have been slow... rasberries prolific weird how seasons can be so different success wise...
Ive been a bit distracted with my new bushcraft transport...
238cc2e203995262222c8cf69bf61979.jpg

d

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I need to prune the goosberry bush when the times right plus propagate more.... as we really like the red goosgogs also I'm going to try another variety of strawberries.They are coming now but very disapointing. The spuds are good though..

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do it in August. It takes till next summer so have at it. Just bend a branch down, scratch the bark off with a thumbnail, peg it down, cover the scratched and pegged area with an inch of soil and forget. I did a post with pictures somewhere.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Spent this afternoon peeling about 500 shallots and setting them in 10% brine to really crisp up. The ten spice vinegar is ready so this year's pickled onions will not be long

shallots in brine for pickled onions by British Red, on Flickr

500! That'shallot. :D (I'll get me coat).

Looking good sir, always an insperation and a way to make me hungry reading your threads.
Pickled eggs and shallots with some cheese and a pint makes a mighty fine repast.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like a cheese and pickle roll. Slabs of mature cheddar and sliced pickled onion on top. Crunchy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's an art is a good pickle :)

A wee bowl with a sliced up apple, a pear, half a dozen small cubes of rich red mature cheddar, a few olives, and a couple of decent pickled onions or gherkins. Add a couple of oatcakes, and that's lunch :D

I've just finished breakfast and feeling rather Hobbit like….and in need of Second Breakfast :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE