Happy Earth Day 2014!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

We celebrate Earth Day annually on April 22. Millions of people across the world gather together to appreciate our planet.

It is an exciting day if you are a bushcrafter! Events of all types are held during the week leading up to the day. Many of these events relate directly to our pursuit of knowledge, awareness, and the protection of wild places.

Besides availing myself of the opportunity to learn, I try to do at least one "project" for Earth Day. Some years I try to make something related to conservation (usually gear). Other years I volunteer for a community activity, or vow to modify my behavior to be more "Earth friendly" for the rest of the year (with mixed success).

Here is a description of an Earth Day Project I call the bottle-bag. It can be used on the trail year-round. Forum members may be interested in making one.

Earth Day Project - The Bottle-bag

Does anyone else try to do something for Earth Day? Any good Earth Day activities near you? Or, is this just a big deal in the United States?

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
To be honest with you I have never heard of this but happy earth day anyway. I also bring other peoples rubbish back home with me when out camping. I once found a big circle of empty beer cans and crisp packets on one trip. It took my daughter and I twenty minutes to pick it all up. People like that make my blood boil.:mad:

To be honest with you I have never heard of this but happy earth day anyway. I also bring other peoples rubbish back home with me when out camping. I once found a big circle of empty beer cans and crisp packets on one trip. It took my daughter and I twenty minutes to pick it all up. People like that make my blood boil.:mad:

It is great that you and your daughter were able to clean the place up. It makes my blood boil, too. After all, if they were able to carry it in when it was full...

Anyone know if there are any Earth Day events going on in the UK?

- Woodsorrel

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
It's a nice sentiment and a good cause, but why have just one "Earth Day"? There are people, mainly conservation scientists, doing their bit for this planet every day.I say we also have a celebration for those folks... For those without a degree we can be volunteering and reading about nature. I don't find there's a day I don't appreciate nature.

Hi Everyone!

For those unfamiliar with Earth Day, it started in 1970. At the time Americans were completely oblivious to environmental concerns. People harnessed the emerging consciousness and energy of the anti-Vietnam War protests and channeled it into protecting the environment. For example, raptors were almost wiped out in my area by the use of DDT and other pesticides. DDT was not banned in the US until 1972. This was the result of new environmental activism and Rachel Carson's book, "Silent Spring". Earth Day still continues today. I think it is still relevant in modern society.

I am certainly grateful to see raptors in the sky where I live.

My $.02.

- Woodsorrel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE