International Men's Day.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Ok, so what's wrong with a feminine approach to a masculine problem? Earlier you unambiguously said you didn't agree with that. Why?
Why can't a male problem have a female answer (if such a problem merits such an answer? Or vice versa for that matter.
Another thing I notice. Earlier you warned about the use of labels (with regard left/right wing). Yet here you are using labels - 'masculine' problems and 'feminine' answers. Oh yeah, I know this is about men's health, but men don't live in isolation. They have wives, mothers, daughters - all of whom care for them and love them. And, again, vice versa. My point being, it may be men's health but it's everyone's problem.
So let's stop looking at divisions as well, don't you think? Instead, let's think how we vlcan help, together - both masculine and feminine.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Ugh... this is getting a bit weird, and daft... men and women are different, and the differences aren't just physical, they are psychological too; this isn't misogyny or misandry it's just the bleeding obvious, is confirmed scientifically and we all know it - whether or not we choose to admit as much... and the differences mean that different things, ways, approaches, solutions etc. will often be more appropriate for one sex than the other.

We are what we are, we have evolved to be somewhat imperfect primates, and were for the longest time hunter-gatherers and that with almost absolute certainly had the greatest effect on both aspects of our make-up. It is entirely natural, and so reasonable, for anyone not fitting into what is a normal behaviour pattern for a given society to be looked at quizzically. Of course there is a huge amount of overlap in both the physical and psychological realms, but the differences are still there, in some cases slight and nuanced, but sometimes quite stark.

The vast majority of utterly disparate groups of humans have remarkably similar societal structures regarding the sexes, another argument for inherent characteristics, the few exceptions reinforce the rule. In these societies men and women have their own places - meaning in both a literal and a metaphorical sense - and their own often distinct ways of doing and dealing with things. Why should we, here, be any different?

Reactions: William_Montgomery

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is an interesting conversation and for the most part has stayed very civil, however, I am detecting a downward turn and that would be a sad thing. Please don't get wound up by each other and keep things as a friendly discussion.

Reactions: GNJC and gibson 175

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
This is an interesting conversation and for the most part has stayed very civil, however, I am detecting a downward turn and that would be a sad thing. Please don't get wound up by each other and keep things as a friendly discussion.
This is a great thread and a huge opportunity for us to share our experiences. Someone in this forum may ultimately benefit from what you write

Reactions: GNJC

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I am at least pleased if anything - that even if we or members here disagree with what is the best course of action - it is at least being discussed.

Which I think is great. Its mentally on peoples radar. Its something people are clearly aware of and regardless of how it all unfolds and whatever support is offered - its actually happening.

I would again ask that the thread continues - even with minor/major disagreement , but please keep it civil as much as possible.

I am finding it interesting to hear and learn about how others see the issue and their thoughts upon it and the different perspectives we all hold.

Reactions: GNJC

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Because we are no longer cavemen and society is no longer structured along those lines.
And hasn't been for thousands of years.
Deal with it.
No, all the evidence is that we are still cavemen, i.e. our hard-wiring / psychology hasn't changed as quickly as some societies have, or as some may think that they have.

I've nothing to 'deal with', the facts are as presented, but suggestion appreciated. :thankyou:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Nope, not me.
Sorry.
I am capable of seeing, thinking, and feeling, with compassion and accept that society has moved on considerably over thousands of years and my expectations of others has moved on as well.
But I accept that prehistoric society may be a role model for yourself and an excuse for holding the opinions that you do.

Hey, here's an idea. Why not take WM's suggestion and keep your thoughts and feelings to yourself rather than expressing them in public? That'll be the masculine thing to do.
If you don't like the advice please feel free to take it up with WM.

• Haha
Reactions: nigelp and GNJC

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Nope, not me.
Sorry.
I am capable of seeing, thinking, and feeling, with compassion and accept that society has moved on considerably over thousands of years and my expectations of others has moved on as well.
But I accept that prehistoric society may be a role model for yourself and an excuse for holding the opinions that you do.

Hey, here's an idea. Why not take WM's suggestion and keep your thoughts and feelings to yourself rather than expressing them in public? That'll be the masculine thing to do.
Dear oh dear, you really do seem to have a bit of a problem with all this; and particularly with people not agreeing with you. I wonder why...

But hey, I'm grateful for your reassurance that you've moved on from and are above caveman-like reactions, you know, like aggressive language and striking out at people and things that don't go along with you.

I rather think that I'll continue to post as I feel appropriate, and will be entirely happy for you to do so too. How very backward of me... :)

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
Nope, not me.
Sorry.

@Wander Please, just ease up on the passive aggressive tone a bit. It runs the risk of getting the thread shut down.
If you disagree with someone and you've got a case to make, then great. But people will disagree back. No real need to start getting funny with people about it.

Last edited:

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
@Wander Please, just ease up on the passive aggressive tone a bit. It runs the risk of getting the thread shut down.
If you disagree with someone and you've got a case to make, then great. But people will disagree back. No real need to start getting funny with people about it.
Quite right, this is a very important subject and it simply shouldn't be a place for vitriol. That written, I don't see anything wrong with civil disagreement, and I certainly don't expect everyone (or even anyone) to agree with me on everything... including Mrs GNJC. :rolleyes:

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
That is an issue. There are many deaths (from such things as prostate cancer) because men do not go to a doctor earlier enough - they are no doubt 'manning up'.
Wondered if you could expand on the 'manning up' part of this?
Just curious on the reasons behind a lot of men not going to the doctor, as it seems to be a common thing.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be honest I was being sarcastic :)

It may be a generational thing - and I hope younger men are now less prone to it. However, certainly in my generation, many men are reluctant to admit to being 'defective' especially when the medical consultation may involve unpleasant examination or discussions on physical performance.

I really do hope that some of the new diagnostics processes for prostate cancer will encourage more at-risk men to seek medical advice.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
No but I went for a routine check up for something else and got a prostate examination thrown in. I think it is done whenever possible. I don’t know how long you’d wait if you asked for one.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Whats wrong with community cafes?

We have a grand one in my village, with activities, a book shelf and a community fridge.

I take stuff often, and find stuff too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE