International Men's Day.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
No but I went for a routine check up for something else and got a prostate examination thrown in. I think it is done whenever possible. I don’t know how long you’d wait if you asked for one.

Sadly, no, there is no periodic testing - it's up to the individual to request it, even if there is family history. See post #15 :)
Thanks for the info, I didn't realise this.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
No but I went for a routine check up for something else and got a prostate examination thrown in. I think it is done whenever possible. I don’t know how long you’d wait if you asked for one.
I had one done at a GP's suggestion, not because of any concern since I was there for an entirely unrelated thing, but because I was over fifty she thought it sensible; had a load of bloods done at the same time on her advice. Periodic servicing I guess...

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Two in five adults in England would not ask GP about possible cancer symptoms

Poll finds more than half of male respondents would not seek doctor's advice, as NHS England seeks to promote early diagnosis

No reason why males are less likely to seek doctors advice? Big campaign starting so hopefully more people will seek advice and get earlier treatment.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Two in five adults in England would not ask GP about possible cancer symptoms

Poll finds more than half of male respondents would not seek doctor's advice, as NHS England seeks to promote early diagnosis

No reason why males are less likely to seek doctors advice? Big campaign starting so hopefully more people will seek advice and get earlier treatment.

Maybe that Males don't have the same type of opportunities where/when these natural conversation arises.

Prescheduled automatic exams and screenings occur conducted and scheduled by Doctors ' Let have you in for an 'X' exam ' - are these equally spread across the genders??

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
My OH only has one annual examination and as far as I am aware she doesn’t have any opportunity to discuss anything else. She does not have anything extra due to her gender and has to seek an appointment like I would.

Looking at the stats if 50% of men and 33% of woman don’t seek early intervention then the gap between genders if about 17% for men, not doing do so. So roughly 1:5/6 of men not seeking treatment earlier compared to woman. Whether that would drop to being equal to woman if men had an annual check up I don’t know.

Maybe a general awareness thing will help but I suppose some people will always be reluctant to go to the doctor.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So smear tests and mammograms are as far as I know , a thing that get pencilled in on a biological radar for one gender before and during middle age , the closest equivalent for men that I can think of is a prostate/PSA exam which happens far later.

Last edited:

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Nearly all prostrate cancer occurs in men over 50, or much older.

I’m nearly 53 and have never had an examination. Do I need to go and ask annually or wait until I have symptoms?

Aside from that why are some men reluctant to seek early help for health issues?

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
Nearly all prostrate cancer occurs in men over 50, or much older.

I’m nearly 53 and have never had an examination. Do I need to go and ask annually or wait until I have symptoms?

Aside from that why are some men reluctant to seek early help for health issues?
Had a look on the NHS website...if a person thinks they have symptom=

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/prostate-cancer/diagnosis/

Link below explains why the PSA test is controversial( if I understand correctly; it can be innaccurate )=
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/prostate-cancer/psa-testing/

Edit-Oops just seen another of your posts in which you already pointed this out

Last edited:
Reactions: nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE