Happiness is large piles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You people are right = there's nothing like an open, round-wood fire. Might not be efficient but there are winter days(!) when I would not care.
The mountain ranges to both the east and west of my house are just a few miles away. So sunrise comes late and sunset comes early, no
matter what the calculations will say. Winter solstice, Dec 21 = sun behind the west range at 1:52PM. Overcast is even worse.

Any really common species or do you all just take what you can get?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'll burn any wood - when seasoned it all produces heat. Some better than others but I'd rather get free softwood rather than paying for hardwood.

In a few years I'll be hopefully burning mainly alder although with any luck I can keep scrounging...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I still have splitter envy :eek:

That splitter was surprisingly cheap mate. If you already have something to power it, its only a ram and a bit of fabrication work
A self powered 20 ton splitting would be a very expensive machine :eek:

Heres my style of log pile. This one has had a winters worth taken out of it

Theres another forty bags in another stack and a couple of more traditional log piles too.
dont think i'll be cutting anything this year. we've got a very mature ash and sycamore to fell but i'm leaving them standing till theres somewhere to put them

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We were discussing powering such a beast this week. Tractor would only have one way hydraulic lines so would be slow to recover the ram. The Unimog has rally powerful two way hydraulics but a 5.9 litre engine might be deemed overkill....and a little thirsty too!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This has been posted on BCUK several times before, but I never tire of watching it. :)

[video=youtube;5ZQCA-mTzjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZQCA-mTzjs[/video]

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
We were discussing powering such a beast this week. Tractor would only have one way hydraulic lines so would be slow to recover the ram. The Unimog has rally powerful two way hydraulics but a 5.9 litre engine might be deemed overkill....and a little thirsty too!

I'd go for the mog mate, that way you could chuck the logs straight in them bins of yours and use the tractors forks to shift em about :cool:

Thats the joy of using the JCB like i do in the pic. got the spitter at a good working height and the split logs drop straight in the tons bags. Then i just hook the bag to the splitter jump in the cab and stack it :D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Eventually, the chips from the chainsaw kerf amounts to a serious volume of wood.
You can't use it? Fine, compressed as pellets, I will.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Chicken coop poop. I believe that wood chips will not readily compost due to the high cellulose content.
My compost bin is just 5' x 5' x 4' deep (and heaping full at the moment.) Quite by accident, some grape vine
clippings get in there, they last for years.

I like to think of wood for all the solar energy/heat which is released into my home in winter.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chainsaw chips compost just fine if you get your mix right. Its all about getting the temperature up high enough for a really fast rot. Too much green you get a wet mess. Too much brown and its over dry. I like about half green, a quarter lightly chipped woody stuff and a quarter manure and straw. Needs to be turned regularly and packed together.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
So I guess the temperature thing is moot by the end of January?
I save apple sawdust for my meat-smoking BBQ.

I'd like to turn my compost over but it would take up 1/2 my lawn and garden to get it done.
I add fertilizer and lots of water, use an iron T-post to bore some holes maybe 16".
Essentially, it's no more than a means to get rid of many cubic yards of clippings.

One year, January I recall, I needed some compost for something.
No more than 24" compact snow on the ground, maybe -10C for a couple of weeks (nice winter days.)
I thought that I could hack into the pile with a shovel or an axe and chip off a chunk.
Started to clear the snow, hit solid ice! The heat from decomposition had melted enough snow
which froze on the top, creating a 2" thick ice dome over the compost.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE