Hanging wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
OK, weird one in some ways.
When you're out an about can you keep your eyes out for hanging wood in trees and bushes that would be good collected for firewood, I was thinking about this the other day, it would be great as an educational thread for people to see what to look out for, twigs, branches etc that are readily available to take, they're usually dry etc

So, if anyone has an pics or takes them put them in here please..

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Just look skywards instead of on the floor. There is invariably stuff suspended that is relatively dry and useable as firewood.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, like that Red

Stuff that highlights what to look for, when it's at an unnatural angle, wrong type of bark and leaves, or barks all come off etc...

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Here's a few more:

This one is obvious as you can see the broken end and that it tapers smaller as you go away from the break, it's suspended about 7 feet up.
DSC02787.jpg

This one is against the hedge which has kept it upright, it's easy to get to.

DSC02789.jpg

I've included this as it's freshly fallen, the ground around it's not recovered or been over grown at all, it's oak and about 4 feet long so a great bit of wood for a fire.
DSC02790.jpg

These are obviously cut and so dead, they're sticking upright so have a good chance of being dry as the hedges around here haven't been cut for a while.

DSC02791.jpg

Very obvious from the colour and the breaks at either end, about 6 inches long and ½ thick
DSC02794.jpg

When you look at it it's up side down, when I had a closer look it's unattached at the other end so it's worth snapping a piece to see how dry it is.
DSC02795.jpg

This was thin at the bottom and so warranted a look, it was unattached at the other end and just standing ready to be collected
DSC02800.jpg

Just hanging there, the angles were wrong for it to be natural, it's just caught up in the tree from the long bit coming off near the top
DSC02781.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great idea for a thread Tony, must say that I'd not thought about it too much as it's something I just did naturally and assumed that others would too. Also spent many weeks of my forestry career looking up doing crown surveys or making sure there were no "widow makers" up there.

There's a lovely section of old mixed woodland a few miles from here where the isolated locals collect all the fallen and dead wood throughout the year and collect it onto drying racks within the woodland where it's collected at a later date for use in their fires/stoves. Wish I had some pictures as it gives a very medieval feel to the place.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks :D I just figured that there's loads of people that don't know how to look, what to look out for, how easy it is etc to collect wood, I'm saying that because I seem to meet them a lot and they love learning how much is all around them. So some pointers on what to look out for and why is should stand out to them goes a long way, if we get some good pics in here we can create a nice article from it and then refer back to here...

Thats the idea anyway ? it's a pity we can't have this thread here and it duplicate on the fly with one in the fire section...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Very true Tony, have been left wondering in the past when folk have been sent out to look for wood and have come back with three soggy sticks and saying they couldn't find anything else. (Even had forestry students do it while having a brew at lunchtime! Though not in Larch woodland, folk always seem to find plenty wood naturally in Larch.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Great idea Tony. Some of the best and certainly the driest will be found up high and in the hedgerows. Earlier this year I retrieved two huge bags of birch twigs from a hawthorn hedge.

This one caught my eye just now whilst out walking the dog. I noticed it from the way it was hanging and it's colour. Not as obvious from the other bank of the river.

DSC_1295_zpsgg3kndjx.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yeah, like that Red

Stuff that highlights what to look for, when it's at an unnatural angle, wrong type of bark and leaves, or barks all come off etc...

Or just not in leaf. We camp in young Ash woodland woodland sometimes. All our firewood is spotted by looking up. I've got no pics I'm afraid, never thought to take any. Thinner dead stems can be identified by nothing more than a good shake. The branch tips will rattle and snap.

Looking up is also a bit handy when it comes to pitching camp too, you don't want deadfall to drop on you in the night.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Interesting thread. I took this shot of some old ivy today. it isn't up a tree, but on a lamp-post, and is dead after being cut at ground level. This happens a lot on trees in managed woodlands, and also on walls,

20140909_130221.jpg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Not much grows horizontally so it stands out, trace the ends and look at the leaves and it's usable...
DSC02811.jpg

Here's another one, bone dry
DSC02815.jpg

Oak that's fallen from above and it's kept upright by the tree it's leaning on, outside is a little damp but bone dry just below the surface
DSC02818.jpg

DSC02810.jpg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This one is hanging although it looks like it's on the ground, the next picture shows the broken end off the ground

DSC02822.jpg

The broken end, this bit of wood at 1.5 inches is great.

DSC02823.jpg

This is a number of branches that have caught in the V of a tree, varied in size it's all dry and easy to get to...

DSC02824.jpg

Ash that's been cut down and left standing, obviously the wood is good but there's also the King Alfred's cakes / Cramp balls (Daldinia concentrica) which when dry are great for fire lighting, carrying fire or if you've enough cooking on (watch the fumes though)

DSC02826.jpg

King Alfred's cakes / Cramp balls (Daldinia concentrica)

DSC02830.jpg

Pointing the wrong way and obviously broken

DSC02845.jpg

Nice chunky bit of wood hung perfectly for collection, this was about 18" long and 7 feet in the air.

DSC02847.jpg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
not much just hangs straight down like that

DSC02851.jpg

I saw the silhouette just like in the picture, it's hanging from the thin branch bits

DSC02853.jpg

easy pickings

DSC02856.jpg

Just hanging there, hooked on just above the V, excellent for fire starting

DSC02862.jpg

Looks like an excellent pice of hanging wood, easy to get to, good size etc but it's rubbish...

DSC02864.jpg

Completely mushy, if it was dried out well it would be ok but it's damp as well, not sure why...Leave this one.

DSC02866.jpg

Get hold of the stick and you know it's good if you get a nice clean break and a nice sharp snapping sound, like a gunshot :D

DSC02867.jpg

CRACK..... Lovely and dry

DSC02869.jpg

The sort of end, colour and shape to look out for, if it's like this it's almost definitely dead wood :D

DSC02874.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE