handmade knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
[video=youtube_share;8bez-pMf8Rw]http://youtu.be/8bez-pMf8Rw[/video] interesting film on handmade knives

Last edited by a moderator:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hey Grip, Thanks for that...............great little video and great knives, eh? That guy Anthony Bourdain is a really interesting guy, he's a chef who's written some great travel - cum - food books, well worth the read.

Thanks for that, much appreciated................atb mac

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
Macaroon thankyou for the appreciation, i had no idea the guy was well known might look out for those books...... Keep smiling......Grip

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just a quick question and hopefully someone has an answer. He hold the Ram's horn over the flame of the forge for a bit then works on it. I'm confused about this. Can heating the horn allow it to be molded when hot, at least to some degree, perhaps even straightened?

Nice little film that, thanks for sharing. Not sure I'd like a knife that doesn't lock into place, but then the users of it are used to that potential hazard. I liked the comment about "... Sardinians expect you to know what you're doing with dangerous tools." In my experience the French are rather like that too. I applaud that type of attitude.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
i know shepherds used to put a hot boiled turnip on a rams horn to soften it so it can be bent to prevent it from growing towards its face.I also read somewhere that a hot air gun can be used to bend ramshorn so i think using the forge is his prefered method........Grip

Biker

i know shepherds used to put a hot boiled turnip on a rams horn to soften it so it can be bent to prevent it from growing towards its face.I also read somewhere that a hot air gun can be used to bend ramshorn so i think using the forge is his prefered method........Grip

Well I've learnt something new. Thanks. It just never occurred to be to try using heat to mould it into a usable shape. Ask me how stoopid I feel now?

I have a piece of ram's horn I got off of Mountainm a while ago but since it's curved there aren't many uses I can find for it. Knowing it can be shaped opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Ta muchly.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Well I've learnt something new. Thanks. It just never occurred to be to try using heat to mould it into a usable shape. Ask me how stoopid I feel now?

I have a piece of ram's horn I got off of Mountainm a while ago but since it's curved there aren't many uses I can find for it. Knowing it can be shaped opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Ta muchly.

Boiling sheeeps horn allows you to shape it.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
+1 to "Knowing it can be shaped opens up a whole new world of possibilities."

I made this at halloween and was looking at ways to re-shape the horns for knife scales . :thankyou:
horned god mask.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE