Hammocks and rucksacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Hello hammock users....

As a ground dweller I set my tarp up to ensure that anything on the ground around me doesn't get wet should it rain.

Whilst looking at the Hennesey Hammocks and their specific tarps, it doesn't look like anything under the hammock would stay dry in a downpour. So my question is, how do you keep your kit dry?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thats one advantage of being a ground dweller in that the rest of your kit will stay pretty dry under the tarp. A conventional square or rectangular tarp can be pitched with one side down to the ground when using a hammock so would offer some protection.
I prefer to hang my pack with a karabiner from a piece of paracord tied round the tree, then use a pack cover to shed off the rain if it's so bad.
If pitched well a 3x3 tarp can offer plenty of dry space underneath though.

The Hennessy standard fly is a bit small so look at upgrading to the bigger hex fly.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Thanks for the info - makes sense about the pack cover!

I don't have a hammock (yet?) but had been considering it as others have told me that it's like a second (or first ;-) ) love to them.

I use a 3x3 tarp at the moment for me and my son and there's plenty of (dry) space under it for us and our kit so was just wondering how you guys kept everything dry.

Ta

Traper

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Poland
I use a small netted hammock hanged above main one. I put most of stuff there. Easy access and everything stays dry. And I put my rucksack on tripod made from sticks.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I use a 4x3 tarp over my hammock.I put my boots upside down on sticks driven into the ground and my rucksack sits on a couple of layers of syicks to keep it of the ground.There is room for 4-5 people to sit comfortably under the tarp .

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I rig an extra line under the tarp and hang my gear off that, or if in one place for any length of time use a net hammock for my gear.

I ditched my HH asym fly after the first outing - horizontal rain is no fun under that thing! I now use either a DD 3m x 3m light weight tarp or a Tatonka 4.5m x 4.5m polycotton for meets and such.

Simon

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I fancy giving a hammock a go, but then the boy would want one too - it gets expensive when you keep having to buy 2 of everything!

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I know that well! He wants to give ice hockey a go at the moment - he's only skated 3 times in his life but feels that a pair of £200 boots might be nie to have.... ;-)

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I use a German army folding roll mat under my hennessey and put my kit at the head end on that ,all items are then under the tarp .
Also gives you somewhere to stand when I get in and out .
Twodogs

Dec 16, 2007
This is what I do and at the end of the day once the HH is away in the bergan you still have the net hammock to hang when having a brew break.

DSC00194.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
there's a routine i get into when hammocking:

pack away all kit not used in rucksack and hang on tree (exit end of Hennessey) i tie a seperate rope and carabina to hang the rucksack.

most rucksacks will stand up to a fair amount of water being chucked at them, if in doubt use a waterproof liner (inside the bag).
alternatively you can use a rucksack cover.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE