Hammocks and backs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
I have a dodgy back. I want to use a hammock. Does anyone who uses a Hammock have a bad back? or, does anyone know wether one should refrain from using a hammock altogether if they have back problems?
Any light on this would be very much appreciated.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I've certainly heard quite a few people say that whilst sleeping on the ground (on a mat etc) usually left them aching by the morning, sleeping in a hammock was comfortable and pain free. Some manufacturers claim that they're ideal if you have back/should/hip pain when sleeping as the weight is more evenly distributed. I'd say whether a hammock is going to help you rather depends on what's 'dodgy' about your back.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I have RSI in my neck from far too much driving (and a accident injury) and holding a telephone hand set between my ear and shoulder while typing when i sleep in a bed with a pillow i have pain all the time but after a few nights in my hammock it goes away.
I dont know if your back would behave in the same manner but for camping they are the bees knees far better and more comfortable than ground dwelling the only problem i can see for some one with a bad back is falling out of the blooming thing either getting in or getting out but if your careful (dont drink too much:eek: )or you use a hennessy you may not have this problem.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I have a bad back - at home I have to use a tempur mattress to avoid getting neck, shoulder, upper and lower back, hip, knee and ankle pain!

I've had chiropractic or osteopathic treatment for years, undergone steriod injections in my spine, and tried acupuncture.

I sleep far better in a hammock than I ever do on the ground, and I've tried kip mats, blow up beds, camp beds and thermarests.

I use a hennessy, if it makes any difference. There are a number of mentions on the website or via links of other bad back sufferers who sleep better in a HH than they do in their own beds!

ODG

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Thanks for the posts led, jdlenton and outdoorgirl, It is helpful.

My back problem seems to be sciatica, the natural curviture of my lower back has a tendency to slouch back if i don't watch my posture, when it does this it traps a nerve and defers pain down my left leg, occaisionally it even lays me up in bed for days. What I was worried about was the slouching when in a Hammock trapping my nerve.

When surfing about for Hammocks (I have expressed an interest in a group buy hammock, and at the price I'll probably take one for me or my friends) the Hennessy A-sym has been of interest, as you guys have noted in your posts, what are they like? They are expensive, are they worth it? Do people use the tarp/fly that they come with or do tehy use their own square tarp? Questions, questions!

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
re: Hennessy Asyms:

Overall, they are very good bits of kit, and quite widely available. The standard fly will do the job of protecting you in the hammock in all but the very windiest of storms. Having said that, a larger (eg hex) fly will give you more living space if you are out in wet weather for any extended period of time.

The hennessy design does have, for me, a couple of small shortcomings: it's slightly more awkward dealing with sleeping bags and mats (or get a group by underblanket if you're likely to be out in the cold). Also, the midge netting isn't removable, so it's not quite as flexible as some other designs.

I'm sure if you come along to a meet or ask around here, there should be someone in your neck of the woods who could let you try one out.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I suffer from some damage to my lower back (after the horse incident) and usually wake up with a fair amount of pain and stiffness in it. When I sleep in the group buy hammock I am pain free and no stiffness which suprises me as you tend to curve a bit .

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I have a nurdelled back and neck too. I use a Mosquito Jungle Hammock and string it up so that its tight. Back pain is not a problem in it, but I do get a head ache after a couple of nights due to dodgy neck angles and the fact that my head is on something firm, which it really doesn't like, all this is aggrivated by a heavy rucksack and spending too long looking at footholdings on the ground. Not good... However, the back and a hammock are fine! To relieve the symptoms slightly, I sleep on my side so I get a better neck angle and can place padding under it. See my thread about the Spacemonkey Hammock Knot to give a rockless night's sleep.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
This is re-assuring, I realy want a hammock as an alternative set-up to ground sleeping, although the other day i slept like a babe in a bivvy bag without tarp under the stars, was very nice. Group buy hammock soon I hope!

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi everyone
Just registered but have been watching this site for a couple of years.
I brought a Hennessy Explorer for myself a few months ago and started using it, my wife tried it out for a snooze one afternoon and woke up with no back pain. She has an artheritic spine and suffers badly sleeping on the ground, she normally gets up about 5am because of the pain. Anyway I brought her one and she used it 2 weeks ago and when she surfaced it was almost 10am and I had let her sleep in, but she got out and came over and gave me a big kiss in front of about 200 people and said what a fantastic nights sleep she had (that set tongues wagging), she has slep in it several times since and vows she will never sleep on the floor again and neither will I Hennessy's are my best buy in 30 years of camping and bushcraft If you have not tried one do it and see for yourself.

Have fun shoot a stick!! :lmao:

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I find the hammock much more comfortable than a bed.

I like to string mine quite tight, and ensure that the head end is slightly higher than the feet end.

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
Hi drstrange,

Quite a lot of experiences being voiced mostly on the positive side but I would suggest you try one first if at all possible. I have a Hennessy and on my first night developed cramp and referred leg pain from an old nerve root irritation. This was quite disturbing given the cost but I persevered and have had mixed nights and some very good ones since. I do not plan to make it redundant from my choice of sleep system even with mixed experiences.

Do not be put off from trying one and I would be surprised if any evidence exists that they are bad for back problems (or good come to that) other than anecdotal.

All the best

Elliott

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I broke my pelvis and sustained damage to my lower spine a couple of years back, i find that even resting in a hammock eases the pain and discomfort considerably

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Ok, my impatience has gotten the better of me and I've ordered a not too expensive hammock, smaller than group buy (280 x double size), but same company and type (nomad's land, parachute material £39)

http://www.handmadehammocks.co.uk/

I'll give it a try and if I like it I'll probably get the larger group buy one too (and hand the smaller one down to my children). I think also that I'd probably need a larger tarp with the group buy one too.

I think by what people have been saying on this thread, that I can experiment with positions and find a 'sweet spot' (more tea vicar??) that helps. I'll try a tight configuration first. I'll let folks know how I get on!

No man's an ice cube

Rob Fielding

Aug 5, 2006
Loughborough
I have a very painfull back at times & even my water bed doesn't help.
I've found that I sleep brilliantly in both my garden hammock & my EXPEDITION HENNERSEY HAMMOCK.
In July my back was killing me...two weeks of blissful rest whilst camping...& not one twinge...the moment I got home...on my water bed & pain, pain, PAIN.
I'm not sure what's going on, why it works BUT IT DOES.
Cheers Rob F

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi backpain friends,

I had a broken low disc and was nearly not able to work anymore, I had for years terrible pain in my lower back and the ischias nerve was burning down to the toes.
Nothing helped with my pain not even cortison injection into the back.

Until I found a very good training program from a german surgeand who opend up his own practice turning the understanding about backpain and treatment around.
He is totally against operations and developed his own teaching. Doing his training I am 100 percent pain free today, for me that is a miracle and I am very thankfull to his teachings.

I have very much sympathy for my fellow backpain brothers I wrote some notes and mate some pictures with ugly me showing some of his teaching.
As I dont want to start up a debate about treatments here I like to offer you to send me a PM and I forward you some info.

Hopefully you guys too get back to full health

yours
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE