hammock cherry busted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Well, I finally did it...spent my first night in a hammock and...it was brilliant :) I was so comfortable that I actually overslept! Highlights included waking up as the sun rose and being able to see it while in the hammock, and then falling asleep again :)

I'm sure my tarp set-up could be improved but it worked fine for a fine night. Setting up the underblanket seemed like a bit of a faff but I was wonderfully warm and it stayed in place. Even managed the obligatory midnight pee without tripping or garrotting myself on it and the bungees while exiting the Hennessy. Brewed up on honey stove and got some patina on my new billy - job done :D

The only discomfort I experience was a pain in my shoulders in the small hours which was caused by me sleeping on my headtorch :eek:

Set-up was Hennessy expedition asym hammock and Tatonka 4x3 tarp (obtained from steve48), snugpak BCUK underquilt (obtained from mayfly) and Tesco ultra-lite down bag as a topquilt.

All kit and knowledge obtained via folks and postings on this forum so just wanted to say thanks for a comfortable nights kip. I'm a hammock convert :)

bugger, can't suss getting the photo on :confused: - will add later
Tarp set up
IMAG0885.jpg

Honey stove in full effect
IMAG0882.jpg

Last edited:

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
It's a slippery (or should that be swinging) slope .... You'll never want to dwell on the ground again!!

Ed
There was definitely a moment of "now I get it!" just before dropping off (to sleep that is :) ). I spend a lot of my time around trees; planting, felling, carving and teaching about them so It feels really to use them in finding shelter.

I definitely see a lot of time being spent happily tweaking my set up.......

Pics now added

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
One little tip though ..... don't put your kit under the hammock on a plastic sheet/tarp ;) .... wind blown rain or heavy dew will turn it into a small pond and all your kit gets wet!! ....

Ed

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
One little tip though ..... don't put your kit under the hammock on a plastic sheet/tarp ;) .... wind blown rain or heavy dew will turn it into a small pond and all your kit gets wet!! ....

Ed

ah :eek: cheers for the heads up Ed. Got away without the dew this time but I'm glad I didn't have to find that out the hard way. will invest in some mini krabs and start hanigin' stuff up :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice one Joe, congrats on your first night out in the hammock. Looks great.

Theres no going back to lying on hard ground from here, its headtorch lumps all the way ;)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Iv neva tried a hammock Always on the floor for years. Does anybody have there dog in there hammock?. How do you find them in winter.
Great pics mate looks like a good night pal

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Iv neva tried a hammock Always on the floor for years. Does anybody have there dog in there hammock?. How do you find them in winter.
Great pics mate looks like a good night pal

My dog sleeps in with me, very handy when it's cold. Jack Russell though, wouldn't want anything bigger in there.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Visla;How do you find them in winter.

With decent and properly used insulation, they are fantastic in the winter. Not much beats waking up to see fresh snow from my hammock, its magic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE