Hammock Campers! Your advice please Gentle-ladies and Gentlemens???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Having decided to get up in the trees for the first time I would like your learned advice and opinions please. Along with the kit you use and the kit you recommend. Thank you :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'd borrow someone else's to try it first of you can. Tw super xl is a very comfy hammock and cheap. No bug net though, but I don't tend to use mine on my other hammock.

I've had a DD travel but I had condensation issues. Although others don't. I have a tw grey hornet. And it's good. But my cheaper tw super xl is now my goto hammock. Packs small and light. Flat lay. I swapped out the suspension for whoopies and tree huggers. For the super xl you'll need at least a 3.5m ridgeline on your tarp.

I've tried a hennesy asym deluxe and I think the super xl is at least as comfy.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Hammocking - or should it now officially be Hanging? Has really taken off of late - that positive in so many ways, but in the process there is a risk of confusion and techy speak creeping in.

The principles are pretty straight forward and the key phrase to keep in mind is 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'.

There is a bewildering array of gear about these days - a quick search will throw up lots of names being used again and again. Quality wise, sticking with these is unlikely to be a bad move. However, individuality is the key - some things may suit you more than others and vice versa. So really just a long winded way of endorsing what MountainM says. If at all possible, try before you buy.

It'll be a great journey though!

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
As someone else pointed out on another thread (bigstu I think?) there are differences between makes of hammock I have the DD camping hammock which as I'm over 6" means I struggle to lay diagonally but in my Hennessy hammock explorer delux it has a built in bug net and it's big enough to lay diagonally, some of the other makes which I've not tried have a foot box type thing so your feet lay level. So there are loads of options and as mentioned a ton of ways to hang your hammock of choice, so try as many as you can. Then there's the tarp!!! Now that's a whole thread on its own!!! 😉

Sent from somewhere?

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I would seriously reccomend trying some out.I personally have the hennessy explorer deluxe.it pre side zip but I had one put in by Matt at ukhammocks.I swapped to Whoopi slings with straps and marlin spikes.again from Matt I bought his very warm full length underquilt using a snugpak sf2 as a top quilt.I've recently swapped out the original tarp for the excellent alpkit rig 21.a massive sil nylon with many tie outs.lots of admin room.I've uses marlow 2mm cord for tie outs.I'm 18 stone and can shuffle around lie on my side in fact how I like.
One source of info is the famously funny shug emery on you tube.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I mostly dwell on the ground but occasionally swing. Hang. Whatever.

My take on it is that a hammock is useful when the ground isn't suitable for sleeping on and that's about it.

I much prefer the convenience of having my kit handy when I'm on the ground. Hanging it on a ridge line or trying to stow it somewhere so I won't wake up on top of it is a real pain.
I don't like having to struggle in and out of a hammock in the middle of the night if I need to answer nature's call, although there are alternatives to that of course.
If it's very windy I like good shelter and it's easier to get that on the ground than half-way up a tree. The ground doesn't sway so much either.
Having said that you can get a really good night's sleep on a calm night in the right hammock, and a lot of hammocks come with built-in insect protection which is a big plus in many areas.

My main hammock is a DD 'Travel' hammock. It has the insect protection but the base fabric doesn't breathe, which some people don't like.
It doesn't bother me as I usually use a closed-cell foam (i.e. also non-breathing) mat in it for insulation and an ex-issue bivvy bag to keep dry.
It's not very heavy but it's a bit bulky.

I use tree hugger tapes to prevent damage to the trees, but it isn't always trees that I hang it from.
I use a couple of cheap shackles to prevent water wicking along the suspension.
The whole lot stows in a dry-bag. I forget what size it is, probably about ten litres.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
I am a ground dweller but mulling over taking to the trees. I am sure that it is total rubbish, but I saw a Gelert hammock on sale for £9.99 in Sport Direct yesterday...has anyone seen or used one? I am thinking that if I don't take to the boreal life then I wouldn't have wasted any precious.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I guess it all depends on if your going to be carrying it? If you are I would look at things like the warrbonet blackbird and superfly tarp!! Both are very light and pack able. If it's mainly car camping you could even buy a bridge hammock which is the ultimate comfort

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'd borrow someone else's to try it first of you can. Tw super xl is a very comfy hammock and cheap. No bug net though, but I don't tend to use mine on my other hammock.

I've had a DD travel but I had condensation issues. Although others don't. I have a tw grey hornet. And it's good. But my cheaper tw super xl is now my goto hammock. Packs small and light. Flat lay. I swapped out the suspension for whoopies and tree huggers. For the super xl you'll need at least a 3.5m ridgeline on your tarp.

I've tried a hennesy asym deluxe and I think the super xl is at least as comfy.

What Mr. Mountain said. I use the same 2 hammocks and agree that the bug netting isn't needed unless your going somewhere really midgie.

So my current set-up:
TW Sargasso tarp
Dyneema ridgeline and guys
TW XL hammock or TW green hornet extra wide
Woopie slings
Caribiners
Tree Huggers
Snugpak Underquilt

The hammock and tarp plus all the rigging, pegs etc and packed into a couple of dry bags comes in at 1.83kg. So not overly heavy, the UQ brings the whole lot up too 3kg.

005_zpsf873821f.jpg

(Tarp folded back to show interior)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Personally if you can wait I would go straight in for the best stuff. I'm using a warrbonet blackbird 1.1 dbl hammock, war bonnet superfly tarp, uk hammocks down top quilt and under quilt. Whilst I can vouch for the top quilt I prob wouldn't buy the under quilt again.
The reason I say go straight for this stuff is because eventually you will want to up grade to lighter more pack able gear, I ended up buying twice when I wish I had of gone straight for the best stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Warbonnet blackbird here too... but the 1.7dbl because I like 'em sturdy!

same uk hammocks UQ and TQ and Superfly... great setup but it cost me a lot in unwanted hammocks to get to this point.

Try and borrow one for a few nights and if you are ok in it, jump in with both feet.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ukhammocks woodsman double skinned hammock, a DIY down UQ similar to the ukh 4 season uq and a diy tq made from a down sleeping bag.

DD 3x3 tarp and/ or a UK basha.

Still a few tweaks to go.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
We all have our favourites and so it comes down to what fits YOU best. I didnt get on with a DD hammock and changed after 1 night :). Others love them. Never tried a TW but i imagine they will lie pretty flat by virtue of the longer lengths they use. I use a warbonnet BB 1.1 double and superfly tarp and hammock gear quilts. I have a uk hammocks UQ too and its ok but not a patch on the American stuff.

The best advice i can give you is whatever hammock you get, get a tarp with doors. Pitch a tarp with doors correctly and you will completely kill any wind in your shelter area which stops wind blown rain and will stop the swaying Ged refers too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE