Hammock at home. HELP!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
i am a hammocker! love it to bits but my garden is lacking in trees to hang from. however there are some nicely spaced walls. has anyone tried attaching their hammocks to a wall? how did you go about it i.e. what fixings did you use, any tips on installing and how well did it work?????

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I drilled a couple of holes in my walls and fitted carabines on 8mm rawl bolts.

had no problems in the couple of years since - touching wood, lol

a-dscf1577.jpg

I have set the bolts so the pull is at 90 degrees to the bolt, so its trying to drag it sideways out of the walls, rather than directly out.

Last edited:

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
looks good. a few questions. firstly is that a red brick or a breezeblock wall (assuming it's a cavity wall)? second how deep have you gone with the bolt??

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a set of these down in the bat cave for testing out setups and getting a sneaky five minutes kip without swmbo knowing :) ..

staple.jpg

Mine are straight into red brick and have held no problems for the last couple of years, I got mine from B&Q and they sell them as "Heavy Duty Staple" in the hardware section.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
looks good. a few questions. firstly is that a red brick or a breezeblock wall (assuming it's a cavity wall)? second how deep have you gone with the bolt??

Its a red brick cavity wall on a council house. I drilled in about 2".

The rawl bolts I used were these:- Link Thanks to Darkside for linking to the site or I wouldnt have managed to find them.

The carabines are cheap nasty mild steel galvanised things from In-excess that cost about £2 each. I bent them with a hammer to get the tie bit off the wall before I bolted them on. I found this useful as on a couple of occasions, the kids have done interesting knots and Ive been able to slide the knot out of the carabine before trying to pick them apart.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
I use a set of these down in the bat cave for testing out setups and getting a sneaky five minutes kip without swmbo knowing :) ..

staple.jpg

Mine are straight into red brick and have held no problems for the last couple of years, I got mine from B&Q and they sell them as "Heavy Duty Staple" in the hardware section.

Yep they look pretty solid! Dont do what I did and try and hang between 2 fences........

Tarp.jpg

and get in........ er the fence now moves a little in the wind!!

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
ok i tried a guy out configuration by using a wall pillar at one end and then at the other end i have a piece of 2" square timber then guyed the timber to the ground at an angle. sat in the hammock and found 2 pegs flying towards me :S they were set at the right angle they just bent and ripped right out of the ground. i reckon the setup will work if i can get a strong enough anchor. any ingenius suggestions that won't leave massive holes in the lawn???

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
ok i tried a guy out configuration by using a wall pillar at one end and then at the other end i have a piece of 2" square timber then guyed the timber to the ground at an angle. sat in the hammock and found 2 pegs flying towards me :S they were set at the right angle they just bent and ripped right out of the ground. i reckon the setup will work if i can get a strong enough anchor. any ingenius suggestions that won't leave massive holes in the lawn???

how about a couple of those giant corkscrew type thingies that they sell in pet shops for tying your dog up, a mate of mine works for a caravan accessories distributer and they sell the corkscrew thingies as part of a kit for anchoring caravan awnings in high winds so they should take a fair amount of strain

stuart

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

check out these babies
web%20stainless%20%20picture.jpg

http://www.deltagroundanchors.co.uk/

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
My hammock in the picture above is held up by two of those screw in ground anchors.
groundAnchorPic.jpg

that's the kind of thing i meant, i think that if you're screwing down through something fibrous like grass roots then these'll hold a surprising amount of strain (that said my dog still manages to pull them out, but he is a bit of a mentalist)

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE