Half A Pig in a weekend (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brilliant thread - was the absence of nitrate / nitrite choice or availability? If you need small quantities in future, (more than enough for a pig), just let me know - no charge :)

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Brilliant thread - was the absence of nitrate / nitrite choice or availability? If you need small quantities in future, (more than enough for a pig), just let me know - no charge :)

Hi I know it poses no threat in the small quantities used, but it was a personal choice. I wanted to see what I could achieve without it.

I'm getting another half in May and may be tempted to try some on a longer term cure. Thanks for the offer :)

Nice have doen a pig butchery course a while back which was great started with a half pig in one bit and after 2 days (one hopping it up and one Cureing nd making sausages)
and last yaer got the River cottage curing and smoking day course for my Bithday for more indepth look at parma and salami etc They teach no nitrates mixes for home use . Hopefully this year when its dries out we will get 4 weaners to raise up for the freezer (well one for a Hog roast party ;) )

you can do it jsut buy buying the bits from the butcher ie a leg or shoulder leg for parma or a middle to try propper bacon and ribs .

Etc

ATB

Duncan

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Nice have doen a pig butchery course a while back which was great started with a half pig in one bit and after 2 days (one hopping it up and one Cureing nd making sausages)
and last yaer got the River cottage curing and smoking day course for my Bithday for more indepth look at parma and salami etc They teach no nitrates mixes for home use . Hopefully this year when its dries out we will get 4 weaners to raise up for the freezer (well one for a Hog roast party ;) )

you can do it jsut buy buying the bits from the butcher ie a leg or shoulder leg for parma or a middle to try propper bacon and ribs .

Etc

ATB

Duncan

Lucky you... did you enjoy the day? and was it worth it? Funnily enough I meant to get the 'pig in a day' DVD before I started.... but never got around to it. (I always seem to do things '**** about face'. I've ordered it to have a look at and then realised that some kind person had put it on youtube so I had very enjoyable couple of hours watching it last night... I'll still enjoy watching it though, and I'll definitely have a go at tying my sausages properly next time. I was just glad they looked like sausage for a first time... lol...

Provided my bacon and hams work I think I might be tempted to get a piece of a specific cut and have another go at something.

Lucky you with the pigs I have to wait until we move to somewhere (hopefully) with a bit of land. The Hog roast is hard work, getting the fire underneath hot enough for long enough to cook it through (I helped with one for a friends wedding in the woods last summer)

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
That looks fantastic, bet you had a great time and saved a fortune buying it from the butchers.

Thanks... I admit I haven't even worked it out... I was so excited/over-enthusiatic to just have a go...

I'll have a go and try and work it out for you. :)

Lucky you... did you enjoy the day? and was it worth it? Funnily enough I meant to get the 'pig in a day' DVD before I started.... but never got around to it. (I always seem to do things '**** about face'. I've ordered it to have a look at and then realised that some kind person had put it on youtube so I had very enjoyable couple of hours watching it last night... I'll still enjoy watching it though, and I'll definitely have a go at tying my sausages properly next time. I was just glad they looked like sausage for a first time... lol...

Provided my bacon and hams work I think I might be tempted to get a piece of a specific cut and have another go at something.

Lucky you with the pigs I have to wait until we move to somewhere (hopefully) with a bit of land. The Hog roast is hard work, getting the fire underneath hot enough for long enough to cook it through (I helped with one for a friends wedding in the woods last summer)

Was never going to do a RC course as they seemed a bit hyped and lecture lead but actually was still pretty good and lots to learn and easy to ask questions still lecture but lots more hands on than I had believed and i get access to the online course and notes etc

I would treat it as a luxury if you have the time and money go for it if not then there's plenty online stuff what will get you thro making a bit of cured bacon etc

yes Hog roast can be fun and hard work its been a long time since I did a whole animal roast over a wood fire as RC would be a weekend occasion with a few Fire buddies prepping and cooking with a bit of home brew Cider ...as it goes with pork ;)

but have used a hired gas one a few times which is easy put pig on light gas turn on motor to rotate wait 3hrs ..stuff your face till it hurts (missed one in the free ads a couple of years ago for sale second hand only a few hundred quid )

now what I want is a decent Mincer and a sausage stuffer :D

But as i have to have my Pig carcasses from the Abattoir delivered thro a butcher the local one has offered to help me thro it in their prep room with all the big machines if needed Im certainly not doing 4 pigs in one go in the utillity room on a sat :lmao:

Oh top tip

Chocolate coated salty pork scratchings ........... trust me :cool:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Nice, am dropping whole butchered deer at our small holding friends until we have enough for a pig later this year.

Dunc, I shall know where to come for help.

This making me hungry and I'm full.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
You can tell me now, I've had my supper.

IMG_4535_zps586ad3ab.jpg

Well this was my third attempt... lol...

I did two lots in the oven trying different ways but I couldn't get them to go crispy before they started to burn. however I read somewhere that if I just dried the skin in the oven at gas mark 1 on the bottom shelf until it goes hard and then fry in oil it they would puff up and they did. They were delicious, light, crispy and not at all greasy :eek:

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Great photo's, well done. The Hock or Knuckle joints with dried peas :) Trotters with peas, soak peas, boil trotters with peas, remove cooked trotters and rinse under water to remove pea residue then salt and grill the trotters until crisp and serve on a bed of mushy peas. Best done with smoked bacon joints :) Have a bash at http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A885495

That's just what I intend to do with them, old fashioned pea and ham soup... lovely....

and thanks for the extra recipe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE