Half A Pig in a weekend (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
I've been wanting to have a go at this for ages, mainly because I've been itching to have a go at homemade sausages, hams and bacon and just to see if a complete novice could do it. It really was an experiment.

Well what can you make from Half a Pig in a weekend:

2 large pork liver, port and Shiitake mushroom pate's
4lb sausages
Large dish of assorted bbq ribs
10 large tennis ball size faggots
Large terrine of brawn
4 litres of pork stock (which will be bagged into portions for extra gravy for the faggots, well you can't have to much gravy...lol..)
Two large hams wiltshire cure
2 hocks and bones plus pork skin wiltshire cured, the hocks and bones for soup, the skin for scratchings
Loin or back bacon dry cured
Collar bacon wet cure
Loads of Pork scratchings from the skin
One whole tenderloin
Small roasting shoulder joint
Small piece of belly pork
3 large loin chops

It wasn't a large pig it was half a free range berkshire that I collected from a local smallholder, Total weight 22kg. 20kg of meat and 2kg of offal. The couple I bought it from had also given me their liver and heart as they wouldn't have time at the moment to deal with it.

I dont have a butchers saw so I asked their butcher to take off the head and trotters and cut the rest into large pieces that I could debone and deal with it myself.

We collected it last Friday evening and brought it home and put it on the work top to see if we could fit it back together again... lol... Basic pig anatomy

IMG_4461_zpsa7ae1f72.jpg

IMG_4462_zps203e92df.jpg

The head and trotters came in another bag and so did the offal

We put it all in the fridge and went to bed.

Up early Sat morning to start and I have to admit to a bit of 'pig fright' at first but I decided just to get stuck in.

Now we had been told that while you're butchering your pig everything must be kept as cold as possible, so following instructions, the kitchen window fully open, (it's a tilt and turn over the sink) and the back door wide open, my other half was in the kitchen with his coat, wooly hat and gloves on taking down notes, taking photo's and looking things up for me and I was in a knee length quilted coat with the sleeves rolled up the elbows.

I managed to debone the large shoulder joint and keep the whole collar (well we hoped it was the collar after much deliberation and watching of youtube videos, dam those experts for making it look so simple... lol... )for making into bacon, a nice small lean roasting joint and 2kg of shoulder to be made into sausages.

Hurrah... one deboned shoulder looking like something from Alien....

IMG_4465_zps9df35266.jpg

Chuffed I managed to get the hock from the back leg

IMG_4473_zpsb15484d9.jpg

The whole bone out of the back leg

IMG_4474_zps4ed44e4a.jpg

It took me an hour and a half to debone all the joints and another hour and a half at least to decide what I was going to do with it all but the fridge ended up full of labelled bags as to what was what.

Our first ever homemade sausage

IMG_4482_zps34dd0ea3.jpg

Ta da... Sausages

IMG_4486_zpse9541b77.jpg

Homemade pate

IMG_4489_zps0574aaca.jpg

and apart from making brines and cures that was all we got done on Saturday.

Sunday was much easier as I had a plan for the day.

Wash and shave Pigs head and trotters ready for the brawn pot

IMG_4492_zps4925842e.jpg

Assorted ribs marinating in homemade BBQ sauce

IMG_4503_zps47129692.jpg

Homemade faggots

IMG_4507_zpse7c80368.jpg

This is what my fridge looked like by Sunday night with all the goodies...

IMG_4511_zps0440f4d4.jpg

One terrine of brawn

IMG_4521_zps2b94475f.jpg

Dry cure already working

IMG_4514_zpsc279e18b.jpg

By Sunday night all that was left were a couple of small recycling food bags of bones and unidentifiable bits and pieces.

I had intended to crispy fry the pigs ear but I was so busy on Sunday that by the time I'd realised it had already gone into the food recycling bag arg.... so maybe I wasn't meant to this time and I chickened out of cooking the half a brain that was still inside it's head.

Monday morning was spent vacuum packing up all the goodies.

Was it worth it, YES definitely

And having done it once would I do it again, YES I've already ordered another half a pig for May and this time I'm going to to have the whole half a pig and saw it up myself.

Did we make any mistakes, YES but nothing major the whole point was to have a go and see if I could do it.

I'm still waiting to try the bacon and hams and as I don't intend to keep them long term this time I just want to try some... I shall eat them 'green' as they say and vac pack and freeze, that's if there's any left... lol...

I finally got around to the pork scratchings.

IMG_4535_zps586ad3ab.jpg

So what was the Bacon and Ham like?...

All these were 'experiments' as I've never done this before....

The Wiltshire cure... no water added, just bottled bitter, black treacle, herbs and spices. I did the whole back leg initially to boil for some home cured ham but it was so nice we kept some small pieces and sliced them for bacon. This is a picture of the ham that we boiled the smaller piece... Please note... no bright pink colour, because I didn't use any nitrates (salt petre)

IMG_4540_zps75f87b44.jpg

The wet cure, this was done on the collar (piece from the shoulder) done in cold water, salt and light brown sugar.

IMG_4548_zps33155561.jpg

The final one was the dry cure...

IMG_4544_zps2d9b849e.jpg

So what was our favourite?

We have to say that's it's been a week since I did all this and the flavour of everything just gets better with time, but our ultimate winner was the 'Dry Cure'...

On Thur I rinsed off the dry cure under a cold water tap and actually soaked it in fresh cold water in a bowl in the fridge for 4hrs as well because I didn't want it to be overly salty. It was then dried on a clean tea towel and left in the fridge uncovered for a day. I hand sliced it, put back in the fridge for a further day before I vacuum packed it.

Any homemade bacon cures that involve sugar should be cooked on a low heat to stop the sugar from burning, The dry cure was put in a 'dry' frying pan with no fat and cooked on a low heat, (trust me, there is enough natural fat to oil your pan:eek: )

Not overly salty but enough sweetness to make your mouth water... lol... no white 'ooze' or water in the pan and a firm but delicious bite of bacon... :eek:

All of the bacons and hams were very good but the dry cure was the winner...

:thankyou: for taking the time to view this thread... it's appreciated...

I've added this to the first post for anyone looking for info as to what can be done to keep it all in one place... thank you...

To anyone thinking of doing this... 'Have A Go' :eek: :eek: :eek:

It's surprising what you can get away with with so little knowledge :eek:

Last edited:

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Great job!

i love home curing etc look forward to seeing your results

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well done :D Looks incredibly sound and productive :approve:

If the beast is slaughtered where you can get hold of the blood as it drains down, it'll make brilliant black pudding too.

Pressure cookers are awfully useful when rendering down cheugh bits, it'll turn out good jelly for pies and the like and make hough into a kind of pate (made with lots of black pepper). Just called potted hough. Stores well if made in little ramkins and is much favoured on toast and oatcakes.

Having seen how well you've done though, you're not needing any more ideas :D

atb,
M

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
I'm always open to new ideas :) you can never have enough...

I had a sort of plan in my head before we collected it but it wasn't until it was actually there in front of me that I decided what I was going to do.

No storage hasn't been a problem but you do need any empty fridge. The picture of my fridge at the top has everything in it apart from the cooked ribs, the faggots and remaining stock which were covered over and left them out over night with the kitchen window open, it was a cold night anyway.

The plastic containers you can see in the fridge were 5 litre lock and clip ones from Tescos and they are on offer with a 1/3rd off at the moment. Just under £5 each. The hams were to tall to be submerged in these hence the bowls with plates on in the fridge. I'm going to look out for some slightly deeper containers for next time as I can get them side by side in my fridge.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
nice week ends work there, are you dry curing the bacon or in brine we did half each and found dry curing ends up more salty than brine cured.

isn't it amazing how many bags of bits of pig you get when you arrive to collect it. I wasn't sure what to do with the lungs when we got ours, aparrently they're refered to as lites or lights,

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Hi Colin,

There was certainly a lot of pig... lol...

Apparently you can use the lung for faggots... I wasn't given the lungs, I don't know why and I didn't ask for them. I used the heart, liver and belly pork for mine though and they were delicious.

I've done one dry cure which had soft brown sugar in it which I hope will reduce the salty taste and 2 wet cures. One Wiltshire cure and the other is a very simple wet cure I found on a forum 1800ml water, 200g of salt and 8 heaped teaspoons of soft brown sugar. I didn't even boil it, just stirred it for ages and ages and put the collar in that as I'd already taken the rind off of it. That stays in the brine for 4 days, wash off and dry for a day.

I'm not intending to keep long term bacon or ham for my first effort I'll slice and freeze.

I've just taken the small hocks out of the Wiltshire cure this afternoon and couldn't resist taking a couple of slices off the hock just to see if we had anything resembling bacon yet... lol...

Result!!!!

It Wasn't the normal 'pink' colour when I cooked it because I didn't use any salt petre or nitrates but boy oh boy did it taste good.:eek:

IMG_4531_zpscf42763c.jpg

Some taster pieces....

IMG_4533_zpsaf06b8b1.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE