Haggis - a bushcrafters feast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Sorry Andy I appear to have high jacked your thread.

Lets get back onto haggis guys the black pudding debate can continue on another day.

Even though i am right about it all because I am a Bury lad born and bred so I know right :red: :red: :BlueTeamE :red: :red: :red: :naughty:

Sorry getting giddy now

Greg

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
The missus just grabbed the last one down the local shop. It's gonna get done tomorrow along with a brace of pheasant (kindly given to me by Bernie, cheers mate!) and some roast tatties! No doubt there will be gravy, I am in Yorkshire after all!

Yorkshire pudding and roast beef . Had it whin I was there and loved it.
PS You could send me a care package.:dunno: :beerchug: :drive:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'll have to try out the idea I posted on the other thread, haggis cooked then stuffed into fire-baked potatoes with plenty of butter.

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
OK, here is what I make that may seem more approachable to people who don't like the idea of haggis. It's called 'Haggis, cream and malt whisky wrapped filo parcels with a malt whisky and grain mustard sauce'. This is served with the usual, neeps and tatties. It is THE best way to eat haggis though it may be a bit difficult to do in a field kitchen. Keeping the filo cool would be the only problem. This dish is an absolute winner. My extended family insist I make this every Burns night (and several other nights). Anyone interested in this recipe?

P.S. The bit that put's people off haggis is usually when they are told of the ingredients!
P.P.S. The best way, I think, to describe haggis is 'a peeled sheep': eek: :lmao:

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Haggis is just another version/variation of Sausage. People just hear a bit about what it is made from and then ... react. A good and bad part about the modern information age.

Most people do not want to hear what is in their sausage, nor do they want to see it made. They just want to enjoy it.

I, on the other hand, know what's in sausage, have made sausage, and still enjoy it in most all it's many variations. (can't take the extra spicy/hot kinds - yeah, I'm a wimp) It's one of the oldest and best ways to preserve, carry, and eat meat.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Now to go fry/roast up some sausage for a "light" snack.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Actually !!!

Who the hell cares of somebody else doesnt like Haggis.

Just means more for us sensible people who eat with their mouths and hearts not their eyes & ears.

Their loss our gain

Cheers
Nick

(AKA Mr Diplomacy)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Had it tonight with roast beef and loads of veggies. Haggis is becoming something of a staple for me at the moment, and I'm wearing my Black Watch Swanni! I'm sure I was Scottish in a previous life!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Had it tonight with roast beef and loads of veggies. Haggis is becoming something of a staple for me at the moment, and I'm wearing my Black Watch Swanni! I'm sure I was Scottish in a previous life!

Maybe so Spamel, maybe so, is the Swannie soaked from a sudden downpour and is there muck and sheep poo on your wellies? :D

BTW, Just had Asda's Pork and Haggis sausages - not bad, not very haggisy but quite tasty, they have Bury black pudding ones too :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No, I bought it from Beachlover over on BB and it needs some smoke in it. It'll get a few outings soon, once I get rid of this horrible soar throat but I think the haggis and Stags Breath has made a difference tonight!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE