Haggis - a bushcrafters feast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
How about a breakfast of left-over haggis fritters, sliced black pudding and eggs to banish the morning after-effects.

Just a minor flaw........when did you ever have any left overs I know its not a concept i am familiar with. :beerchug:
That and when you slice the black pudding it looses something. It should really be boiled and eaten from the skin with a spork thingy so it just melts in the mouth.

Greg

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Just a minor flaw........when did you ever have any left overs I know its not a concept i am familiar with. :beerchug:

Hahaha! Very true, very true and my expanding waistline is testament to that. :beerchug:

That and when you slice the black pudding it looses something. It should really be boiled and eaten from the skin with a spork thingy so it just melts in the mouth.

Greg

I will bow to your superior knowledge of the Black gold.

I think I might have to go on a hunt for this tinned haggis, sounds like sacrilege to me, but in the interests of scientific research I may put aside my natural aversion. :D

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I think I might have to go on a hunt for this tinned haggis, sounds like sacrilege to me, but in the interests of scientific research I may put aside my natural aversion. :D

it might be quite good or it could just be an abomination like veggie black pudding. If you find any drop me a pm please as I am curious and would be interested in joining you in some scientific research.

Greg

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside

Greg

When sliced it's best to warm it through with a dollop of butter on top, as it warms the butter soaks into the black pudding. Mmmmmmmm.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
When sliced it's best to warm it through with a dollop of butter on top, as it warms the butter soaks into the black pudding. Mmmmmmmm.

That might work as when its sliced its generally grilled or fried during which it looses its moistness. Get it boiled from bury market and you will know what I mean.

Greg

B

bushyboo

tinned haggis is ok but add a wee dram when your heating it up makes all the differance

Gordon

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
don't forget the white pudding as well

I've never really taken to white pudding, what is in it? I thought it was just black pudding without the blood, maybe extra suet or something.

HAS to be mustard Greg :D

I'll second that :D

it might be quite good or it could just be an abomination like veggie black pudding. If you find any drop me a pm please as I am curious and would be interested in joining you in some scientific research.

Greg

Doubt it'll be as good as the real thing, but should keep better on a trip out. I know Grant's do tinned haggis, I'll have to keep my eye out for it ...

http://www.scottishfoodoverseas.com/tinned-haggis.html

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I've never really taken to white pudding, what is in it? I thought it was just black pudding without the blood, maybe extra suet or something.

Dont know what it is other than wrong !!! Black pudding should be black and full of blood. Not a veggie option sorry ( i fully support anybodys choice to be veggie and that was not a dig at all :beerchug: ) Its like square hola hoops Nooooooo they are made round and will be round for ever ! :rant:

HAS to be mustard Greg - Matt

I can just about tolerate people using mustard. it pains me when people use ketchup but I draw the line at salad cream or mayonaise - its just wrong on every level.

Doubt it'll be as good as the real thing,...

Are they ever :(

And before anybody asks

YES I am the food police :red: :naughty: :red:

Greg

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
White pudding is certainly not a veggie option, it doesnt have blood in it but it does have meat. My Granny used to make it with meal oats liver and bits of pork and of course the usual unknown spices and stuff, its well tasty if you can get a good supplier although most of the stuff supermarkets do isnt great.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
agree with spam,when in Germany for the first time couldn't believe putting mayo on the pomfritts,and where do you get the tinned haggis ?had two meals out recently at my local hostlerey and both times i ordered haggis neeps and tatties.

bernie

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
And the other thing with those on the continent, they have no understanding of chunky chips! All this anorexic looking fries business, what's it all about?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I liked white pudding, never very keen on the black. The white is basically oatmeal and fat, sometimes with onions, and it's best fried. I've got some cracking recipes for it, but I can't find a vegan sausage skin :(

All your fry up breakfast is missing is dumpling and tattie scones. :)

cheers,
Toddy, who had veggie haggis, champit tatties and bashed neeps with butter and black pepper, for dinner tonight.....and is still feeling rather too full :eek:

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
White pudding is certainly not a veggie option, it doesnt have blood in it but it does have meat. My Granny used to make it with meal oats liver and bits of pork and of course the usual unknown spices and stuff, its well tasty if you can get a good supplier although most of the stuff supermarkets do isnt great.

Sorry thats my fault. I wasnt saying that white pudding was a veggie option, i was trying to say that veggie black pudding is wrong and it came across wrong. i bet your grans pudding was great. my gran used to make her own black pudding and it was the best i have ever tasted.

Spam strangley enough I dont mind mayo on chips i even quite like kecthup on them but not together :dunno:

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE