Haggis - a bushcrafters feast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
In order to prevent the hijacking of another thread I thought I'd start one on the subject of the noble Scots Haggis.

I think as a food it epitomises one of the tenets of Bushcraft - waste nothing. That and it's tasty.

And just for you two; Spamel, Firebreather, here's something to salivate over :lmao: ...

300px-Haggis_scoticus.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm definitely gonna do it! Got to get the haggis I've had just though, asit was so nice and peppery. I can still taste it now! To be doable, all we need is a billy with a couple of haggi (plural for haggis?) a average size billie doing carrots and neeps and a biger pot doing spuds. Maybe some gravy, job done! Quite easily done between a small group of people. Maybe some rabbit on the side!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Here's a thought for you Spamel, haggis steaming, peppery and lovely, served in a fire-baked potato with big lump of butter :D

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Funny you should raise this but I often pack a small vegetarian haggis (because it can last 4 days without fridging it) in my pack when I go jaunting on Dartmoor. The little McSween ones you can get in loads of places and taste not bad for a veggy option - I should know - I used to eat proper Haggis for lunch every weekday for 3 years. And its cheap as chips (well cheaper).

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Just watch out for Firebreather's stealth haggis hound.

Hey that was sophie who is Lin's pooch not mine :naughty: the only reason empi did not get in on the act was she was too big to fit under the fire unnoticed. :red: :red:

Question - why do haggis have two legs shorter on the left side ?

Answer - beacuse they grow up running around the hill the same way all its life.:rolleyes:

I'll get my coat :eek:

Greg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The missus just grabbed the last one down the local shop. It's gonna get done tomorrow along with a brace of pheasant (kindly given to me by Bernie, cheers mate!) and some roast tatties! No doubt there will be gravy, I am in Yorkshire after all!

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
One small tin of haggis and one tin of Ravioli stick them in the same pot and heat thouroughly. The ravioli will break up as you have to keep stirring and it'll end up looking like someone's already eaten it, but will be delicious eaten with a slice of bread and butter.

Cheap, easy to carry, and cook. Give it a go, you might need to close your eyes to manage the first mouthful:D , but after that?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Question - why do haggis have two legs shorter on the left side ?

Answer - beacuse they grow up running around the hill the same way all its life.

It is said that there are two distinct sub-species, one with its left legs short the other with its right legs short. Since while running round the hills the only meet face to face, they can't inter-breed, that and if they tried one would end up rolling down the hill.

It's true, I read it on the internet :lmao:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_haggis

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
It is said that there are two distinct sub-species, one with its left legs short the other with its right legs short. Since while running round the hills the only meet face to face, they can't inter-breed, that and if they tried one would end up rolling down the hill.

It's true, I read it on the internet :lmao:

It is now fact and thats undisputable because 2 of us have said it and referenced it with a quote from the internet.....that never lies:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
There must be a way of combining the two haggis and black pudding in one meal?????

Now that would have the punch to match the staggering amounts of alcohol drank at certain meets :puppy_dog

Greg

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
The Haggis or Haggasii lemmus Asymetris quadrupedis. is actually a distant relative of the lemming. and was not, as is commonly thought, hunted. the next time you're out and about on hillside in Scotland, watch out for walls od hedgrows that run spirally down hill towards a depression in the landscape. there are the vestigial remaind of "haggis runs" some of the earliest examples dating back to the medieval period. The local serfs would beat through the heather covered hillside driving the haggis towards the runs. Once the haggis encounted the stricture of the wall it would be forced to follow the course of said impediment into the confines of the terminating dispatching pen (many of these are now mistakenly Identified as sheep pens).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE