Had a little visitor today outside my room!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
Agh ha the praying mantis ! Quite a decent size to, say 5 inches. Found him in the shade.

URL]

URL]

Jim

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:yikes: not quite the sort of thing I expect to see among my roses.....have they become acclimatised in Cheshire, or are you in other parts just now :) ?

Pretty cool to get a photo of it though :D

cheers,
Toddy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Excellent. I wish there was more interest and posts about things like this. Everybody has an interesting creature on their doorstep yet very few pay attention or share them. They can't see past the camping shop.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry gbjim03m, didn't mean to take the thread OT :eek:

I didn't know that praying mantis were native to Europe :rolleyes: I thought they were some jungle buggit :dunno:

There you go, you learn something every day :D

You want photos of newts and robins, and of the muckle great spider that I have a running battle with over ownership of the access to my shed, Bushwhacker ?
Not quite up there with a mantis though :D

cheers,
M

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Its great fun to get on the floor in the garden, me and the kids go for garden safaris a lot, Stephen loves finding pale slugs under the log pile, Fen is BIG time into ants and bee flies!! we found a dried out bee fly yesterday stuck to the Elder, will get some pics in a bit:)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
On a more somber note, the female mantis eats the male during mating, starting with the head 'cause the male needs to have his head chewed off as it helps with the ejaculation........so he feeds & impregnates at the same time, who said that males were useless.?.:D..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah but, I've been reading about them when I realised that I was terminally ignorant of the mantis'.
Research shows that the cannibalism isn't always so, that it's to do with food availability and the, well I suppose Beta males finding a way to reproduce.
Googleing is an interesting research vector :D

cheers,
M

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its great fun to get on the floor in the garden, me and the kids go for garden safaris a lot, Stephen loves finding pale slugs under the log pile, Fen is BIG time into ants and bee flies!! we found a dried out bee fly yesterday stuck to the Elder, will get some pics in a bit:)

Garden Safari great idea!

Here you go kid, found your nephew lay flat on his belly playing with his new mate ant :)
IMAG1322.jpg

IMAG1323.jpg

Then later that day boy and his mum whilst outside when she heard a giggle, followed by a cry, a swolen finger and a poor crippled bee. Day of learning indded. :approve:

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
Garden Safari great idea!

Here you go kid, found your nephew lay flat on his belly playing with his new mate ant :)
IMAG1322.jpg

IMAG1323.jpg

Then later that day boy and his mum whilst outside when she heard a giggle, followed by a cry, a swolen finger and a poor crippled bee. Day of learning indded. :approve:

Toddy, no probs at all, im currently in the middle east, so no sorry not native to Europe, i believe.
Kid, thanks for the phots, ma told be about the bee, bless him. Well the first rule of bushcraft has been learnt, "poke it with a stick next time" Only kidding.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You want photos of newts and robins, and of the muckle great spider that I have a running battle with over ownership of the access to my shed, Bushwhacker ?
Not quite up there with a mantis though :D

cheers,
M

Yes please, I'd rather see what sort of wildlife people have than which knives, backpacks, or clothes they're wearing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE