Guy line knots

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
There seems to be a plethora of different knots that can be used to form adjustable guy lines.

What are people's preferred knots for this, and why?

Julia

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I suppose I use a midshipman's hitch too, although I always think of it as just a rolling hitch. I generally put an overhand knot in the end and work it up close to the rolling hitch so that it doesn't pull through. The rolling hitch is what I was taught to use for that type of application and now it's just automatic; I do it without thinking.
At the tarp tie-out end; slipped sheet bend or bowline.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Either Pile Hitch onto the peg and Farrimond Friction Hitch to the tarp or Larks Foot to the tarp and a Farrimond to the peg.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
At the last Northwood Meet i tried this set up www.alpkit.com/support/stickies/top-tarp-tips-part-1 it worked really well with a small mod. The carabiner on the left was clipped to the tarp (not used with a prussik), and the paracord took around the tree clipped into the carabiner and pulled to the left, which gave it a sort of pulley effect and secured with a slippery hitch. Very easy to get the right tension. The carabiners i used were only cheap, off a couple of collapsable water bottles i think.
When set up it allows sideways movement of the tarp to pitch it just where you want. I hope this makes sense....if not the pic is pretty good.

Last edited:
Taut Line hitch for me to except I make mine a slippery Taut line hitch by pulling a bight through the last wrap.
It makes it easier to untie.
It can be make secure my placing a toggle such as a stick through the bight and pulling it tight.

Remove the stick or snap it, pull the standing end and its undone.. simples...:)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Taut Line hitch for me to except I make mine a slippery Taut line hitch by pulling a bight through the last wrap.
It makes it easier to untie.
It can be make secure my placing a toggle such as a stick through the bight and pulling it tight.

Remove the stick or snap it, pull the standing end and its undone.. simples...:)

This is exactly what I do.

bearbait

If you really want to crank some tension on I use a Manharness Knot (a loop tied in the bight) with the working end then led round the tree/anchor point back through the Manharness Knot back towards the anchor point and secured with a Midshipman's Hitch, or a couple of half hitches snugged up to the Manharness Knot. The whole setup acts like a tackle. Good for a long ridge line for a large tarp over a living area.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It depends on what kind of tarp or shelter I'm using, if it's cuben fibre with no stretch I just use a marlin spike hitch using the peg as a toggle. If it's stretchy sil then I like some adjustability and I use a basic adjustable guy line knot

This is a subject only you Anglo's could come up with. "How to tie a bit of rope/cord to a tree".

When I travel with white people on river trips, there is a wealth of discussion on best knot or hitch to use for tying to tree. If there is only one best method then there'd be only one good knot - but there is clearly more than one. I don't know the English for the knots us Cree use but it works. Thats all that matters. Lots of knots work.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Adjustable guyline knot. [Although want to see if you're 'gitd' line loks will fit my tarred bank line. [Im too cheap to buy that much dyneema.:eek:]
Ridgeline, normally evenk hitch and truckers hitch. I like a strong ridgeline. How do you store your paracord? I use a daisy chain, with 25 foot lengths of purple and green cord. I normally carry a rope bag, as well, in a vehicle [stuff sack] with all sorts in it.
I normally take my own ash or hazel poles, with me, and run a line from the tarp around the pole using a clove hitch and down to the peg.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
This is a subject only you Anglo's could come up with. "How to tie a bit of rope/cord to a tree".

When I travel with white people on river trips, there is a wealth of discussion on best knot or hitch to use for tying to tree. If there is only one best method then there'd be only one good knot - but there is clearly more than one. I don't know the English for the knots us Cree use but it works. Thats all that matters. Lots of knots work.

Ah, one of the wondrous joys that comes from Forum threads is the way that many people don't read the original question at the start of the thread. The organic way in which the thread evolves once one person misses the original point.

My original question was:

What are people's preferred knots for this, and why?

I didn't ask which is best. I didn't mention trees. My question was asking what knots people use and why do they use them. Afterall people have gone to the effort of giving names to these knots, making it easier to share the knowledge, it seems foolish not to take advantage of this. Personally I use a knot for which I don't know the name. I do it by muscle memory. I am curious what other people do. It's simple curiosity. Dunno if that is because I am British (not sure if I can claim to be Anglo), or that I'm a Geek. My inquisitiveness and interest in learning new things leads me to wonder if there is another way to the way I do things. I apologise if you find this warranting of casual racism, or if you find this interferes with your enjoyment of the outdoors.

Regards.

Julia

Julia

I was not insulting any one person - just saying what I've seen and heard. You mentioned guys, which I thought are bits of rope for tying tents/tarps and the like up to trees I thought.

I don't know what I said that makes me racist. Its a simple fact that on the trips where we taken european whites, it is they who talk about knots. Its not something we discuss among ourselves. Perhaps thats because we learn them whilst younger watching our parents and elders when we're out. My hunting partner who was sat next to me in our centre when I did earlier post also reminded me that he's never heard an anglo ask any question about the knots he/we use. Maybe they think we don't know any knots?

Sorry I upset you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE