prusik knots v's guy tensioners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
i have seen and read different on the use of prusik-knots to eliminate guy tensioners

i have zero experience of prusik-knots for any application

guy tensioners have been around since long before i was a wee apple in my daddy's eye for tents

as have prusik-knots been around for a very long time

have you got experience for both prusik-knots and guy tensioners for tensioning guys on tent and tarps...??

which is better overall...??

are there different situations for use for one over the other...??

i see that if a guy tensioner breaks the prusik can likely help until a replacement tensioner can be located, would that be correct or a i way off the mark...??

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

then there is the Farrimond friction hitch

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
From St Paul :) - I couldn't explain it any better.

He ties just two wraps around the static line; I often use three.

And I tend to use four or five. It depends on the type of cord used. Looks like Paul is using an eight strand plait cord, which is grippier than raw 2mm 16-plait Marlow throw line I like.

There are many kinds of guy line tensioning hardware. After many years of using the quick release guy line knots exclusively, I have made several tarps with Lineloc 3 plastic tensioners. Not to confused with Linelok tensioners.

For a hammock tarp that has four guy lines and is invariably set up in A-frame style, Lineloc3s and similar tensioners that are fixed to the tarp tie out points have some advantages over all other methods, when paired with appropriate line. Tension can be adjusted without leaving the shelter of the tarp. There are no or fewer knots to untie to strike camp, fewer to tie to set up, which can be nice when it’s raining. The leave the option of tying off to trees, roots, additional taut lines, as well as just pegs.

When a tarp has many tie outs and could be set up in many configurations, it becomes more convenient to have just webbing loops and to attach lines where needed on the day. Something like a camcleat or Linelok is quicker to use than a knot, but is really only good for use with pegs. If other anchors are used, or lines need extending, then knots are needed.

On a tent there is little reason not to use hardware tensioners. It will be anchored from consistent points and invariably use pegs.

The final point, in favour of knowing the knots, is that it’s knowledge and weighs nothing. Even if you always use a tent with hardware tension holders, they can break, or you could be called on to set up a tarp.

Chris

Reactions: Broch

bearbait

is that the same as @Broch advised on...??
Not as far as I can see from Broch's video link.

Technically (pedantically) a Rolling Hitch is when one rope or line is tied to another. Whereas when it is the end of one line tied to itself, i.e. as a guy, it is a Midshipman's Hitch (so my bad!). The turns, and the knot essentially, are the same.

The Ashley Book of Knots has long been the bible, although new knots have come into being to cope with the new materials that ropes, cords, lines are made of these days.

Reactions: Minotaur

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE