Guess why this is (probably unique)?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Did you plant the trees hammock width apart as a forward planning or is that just e standard distance between trees that happen to be hammock width?

I would love land for trees and open areas too. I'm a ground dweller because the places I've typically gone to there's no good trees to hammock from. But I do fancy trying the tree swinging thing. I've used a silk double hammock for chilling in campsites but would never think I'd get a good night in that hammock.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very nice - but I am afraid it is not unique...
001 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).JPG002 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).JPG003 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).JPG
My home made hammock photographed in 2014 strung between an apple tree and a hazel in my garden - both planted by me many years before ... some time around 1980!
I cannot find the pictures of me sleeping in it - these were taken to show off the hammock itself .... which is still in regular use!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Damn you, John Fenna :D

Trees weren't planted at a specific hammock spacing but there's enough of them to give me a few options - more and more each year!

Lake is mine, dug it about 3 years ago...

Reactions: plastic-ninja

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Ooo got any fish in it ?

Not that I know of. Don't think it's been established long enough for them to appear but we do have ducks visiting so perhaps they'll bring eggs in. Part of the planning permission states I'm not allowed to stock it - think they are concerned that I'll be opening a fishery. It's big, but not quite that big. Deep, though, and we swim in it during the Summer.

Reactions: santaman2000

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think your setup there is rather splendid and I have slight envy :D

Only slight? :D :D
I'm lucky to have had a good job so that I can afford it. Been a lot of work but at least with this glorious weather and time off I can see it all come to life again...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ooo got any fish in it ?
Not that I know of. Don't think it's been established long enough for them to appear but we do have ducks visiting so perhaps they'll bring eggs in. Part of the planning permission states I'm not allowed to stock it - think they are concerned that I'll be opening a fishery. It's big, but not quite that big. Deep, though, and we swim in it during the Summer.
Ah well. Maybe bullfrogs? And the follow up question: do y’all eat frog legs?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland

It's beautiful mate

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah well. Maybe bullfrogs? And the follow up question: do y’all eat frog legs?

Only the French - which is why they have the somewhat derogatory nickname of 'Frogs'. I quite like them to be honest but have never eaten them from the wild.

However, we are in danger of going way off topic here :)

Part of the planning permission states I'm not allowed to stock it - think they are concerned that I'll be opening a fishery.

When I excavated my pond (a fraction of the size of your lake!) I 'seeded it with silt and weed from a local very slow water course (probably not suppoosed to do that) - I collected a large container of water, weed and silt. The next year we had minnows, sticklebacks and a whole load of other creatures.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Very nice!

I think, you should ask your local forester or whatever you have similar in Britain what you are able to do in this case.

If you explain, that you don't want to open a fishery but want to create a private biotope of high value, next to a nature / wildlife reserve, I guess you will find official friends who can find a way to allow you to put some life in your lake.

In Germany we aren't allowed to catch and displace wild animals. Of course! Mrs Frog would wait for her husband and would become very sad...
But my neighbours job is to count lizzards for example, catch them all and displace the whole tribe professionally if they have to construct a road in a lizzard area. So if I wouldn't just have enough of them, he probably could give me a few legaly, if I created a lizzard paradise before.

What I mean: Rules for everybody aren't necessarily made for everyone! There are always some exceptions, you just have to speak with the right persons...

;)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's beautiful mate

Thanks, Robbi, it is, especially in this weather. Just wish I had more vegetation - it's a big area to try and cover and all the floating plants I've put in haven't made it... I've put duckweed in, water soldiers, water hyacinth but they've all died. There are plenty of insects in there and the water is pretty clear so not sure why that should be the case...

When I excavated my pond (a fraction of the size of your lake!) I 'seeded it with silt and weed from a local very slow water course (probably not suppoosed to do that) - I collected a large container of water, weed and silt. The next year we had minnows, sticklebacks and a whole load of other creatures.

That's probably not a bad idea.

Very nice!

I think, you should ask your local forester or whatever you have similar in Britain what you are able to do in this case.

Thanks. I think a concern is that fish will eat all the insects/invertebrate eggs etc. and lower the biodiversity. It's already teaming with newts and tadpoles.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just wish I had more vegetation - it's a big area to try and cover and all the floating plants I've put in haven't made it... I've put duckweed in, water soldiers, water hyacinth but they've all died. There are plenty of insects in there and the water is pretty clear so not sure why that should be the case...

That's probably not a bad idea.

Thanks. I think a concern is that fish will eat all the insects/invertebrate eggs etc. and lower the biodiversity. It's already teaming with newts and tadpoles.

I used to run a fly-fishing consortium that rented a small lake and stocked it regularly - we'd put 100 rainbow trout in at a time. Despite the fact the lake was stocked with hungry trout (they had been fed up until the point they were delivered to us) the lake still teemed with wildlife of all kinds.

Our biggest problem was Canadian pond weed Elodea canadensis - once you've got it, it's very hard to control especially if the water is not very deep. I had to get an annual license to use a chemical control - but couldn't get permission to introduce plant eating fish species!

If you're having difficulty getting plants to succeed I'd get the water tested. Is it stream fed?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's spring fed, from another pond plus a few more springs. I probably should get the pH tested. It's very deep in places, my pond. At the deepest point it's about 15 foot! I thought it would take a few years to fill up but it filled up in about 4 months... it then started going down again and by the following summer it was 12 feet down! With all the clay that was washed in when the rains finally came, it filled up again by the following December (2018) and has remained full ever since, aside from going down a few inches last summer. It won't need desilting for some time!

I'd like rainbow trout but you need a licence from the EA to even buy them.

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Go to a pet shop or tropical fish shop. They'll have testing kits for pH, nitrites, nitrates, etc. Might be a quick way to check on the water.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It’s a beautiful pond and indeed the whole property. The pond’s certainly large enough for several species if you could get the proper permits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE