Guess what I'm growing .......

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Blatant copy of Nagual's thread, but it was a goodie, so let's go with the theme. Kind of :D

Hear, it's hard to get clear shots of the individual plants, my garden's a jungle :eek::eek:

Number 1. Clue, used to be made into cakes to deworm children.
IMG_0081.JPG

Number 2. Clue, the roots are used as a healing ointment ingredient and the leaves are fried in batter.
IMG_0083.JPG

Number 3. Clue: it's our native pizza herb
IMG_0091.JPG

Number 4. Clue, doctrine of signatures, and the feathery leaved plant to the right will end up eight feet tall :yikes:
IMG_0095.JPG

Number 5........number 4 in flower, and the one in the middle of the photo at the back of the pot is a healing and calming herb.
IMG_0100.JPG

Number 6. Clue, used as a dye
IMG_0101.JPG

Number 7. Clue, native and hardy, it makes a lovely relaxing tisane.
IMG_0102.JPG

Number 8. Clue, the ultimate British dye :)
IMG_0104.JPG

Number 9. Clue, those bright orangey red flowers will fade and the bush will bear the most wonderfully scented bright yellow fruits.
IMG_0111.JPG

Number 10. Clue, none of the flowers belong to the plant in question. It's flowers are small star shaped and yellow.
IMG_0113.JPG

Number 11. Traditonal household plant, found at the edges of old villages.
IMG_0090.JPG

Number 12, two photos, for scale my hand is 6.5 inches long.
IMG_0092.JPG

Number 12, second photo. Clue, native and not just for budgies. An indicator plant of ancient woodlands.
IMG_0093.JPG

Just for the fun of it.......where I sit with a cuppa and watch the newts in the pond and the birds in the trees :D
IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Don't worry Mary, we've not ignored this one, but there are a few puzzlers that's for sure. Bivibabe has been scouring her books and google to correctly ID them.. I suggested that she go with my answer of "plants" but that was suitably ignored.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
No2 Borage

and after that I'm in guess land apart from basil great thread Mary

let this run awhile but i doubt the answers will be complete so please tells us the answers

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Toddy in clue 4) are you looking for the answer to the plant with the vareigated leaves or the one on the far right with feathered leaves?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The spotted leaves, it's in flower in photo 5.
The feathery leaves to the right are Mugwort :)
Lady's bedstraw and there should be gypsywort beside it too.

cheers,
M

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
No 2 - comfrey.

No 3 - marjoram.

No 4 is lungwort - lots of it in my garden.

No 5 feathery one, chamomile?

No 7 - which one? Heartsease? Lavender?

No 10 looks familiar but I can't recall.

11 - soapwort?

12 - millet?

Got to get ready for work now.

Geoff

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So far the correctly guessed ones are:--

1, Tansy, it will grow much taller, and has spreads of bright yellow button shaped flowers.
2, Comfrey, this is the native to the north one, symphytum tuberosum. Not as prickly, much nicer to use if not as pretty in flower.
4, Lungwort, and the feathery one is Mugwort.
6, Lady's bedstraw, a dye and a rennet for cheese too. It also smells good in pot pourri.
7, Heartsease in flower, it's a weed in my garden, but it's a good one :) Lavender, rosemary, thyme, Ladies Mantle and Weld.
8, Woad, this is bi annual plant. The one in flower is year two and it will set black drooping seeds.
11, Soapwort, known as Bouncing Bet. Creates a lather used for washing linens and woollens.
12, Wood Millet, grows in shade, thrives in Ancient Woodlands and tastes like mini flax seeds/ sunflower seeds.

What's growing in your area ?

cheers,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is indeed. It's the wild oregano, blooms both purple and white. Like ransoms the flavour is more subtle than the cultivated varieties, but just as tasty. The bees love it :D

1, Tansy, it will grow much taller, and has spreads of bright yellow button shaped flowers.
2, Comfrey, this is the native to the north one, symphytum tuberosum. Not as prickly, much nicer to use if not as pretty in flower.
3, WIld oregano, tasty and loved by bees.
4, Lungwort, and the feathery one is Mugwort.
5, Chamomille
6, Lady's bedstraw, a dye and a rennet for cheese too. It also smells good in pot pourri.
7, Heartsease in flower, it's a weed in my garden, but it's a good one Lavender, rosemary, thyme, Ladies Mantle and Weld.
8, Woad, this is bi annual plant. The one in flower is year two and it will set black drooping seeds.
11, Soapwort, known as Bouncing Bet. Creates a lather used for washing linens and woollens.
12, Wood Millet, grows in shade, thrives in Ancient Woodlands and tastes like mini flax seeds/ sunflower seeds.

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'd originally wondered about fennel for No 5, but wasn't aware of its use as a calming herb, which is why I went for chamomile.

Geoff :)

PS: Thanks for the puzzle.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Geoff, I missed that one in the round up :eek: This chamomille actually flowers, my other ones don't. I love the smell of it fresh :)
Fennel's a good digestive herb, tasty and easing. Good stuff.

You're very welcome :)
Let's see who else comes up with one :cool:

cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE