That unusual plant!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
In your exercise I hope you are using the wild places out there. When you are out there look for the unusual individual plant - due to genetics and not environment, not the garden/ commercial varieties. Take a photo and share.

Common things to see are
- variegation in the leaf colour - usually white or yellow periphery
- abnormal flower colour,
- double flowers
- abnormal leaf shape such as cut, or leaf size
- overall plant shape

If anyone happens to know of white flowered variants of many plants then I would be very interested. Ground ivy on my mind at the moment, and dandelion. Also, elderberry variants - flower, fruit, leaf, plant size and shape

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We have white bluebells in the wood - these are British Bluebells - Hyacinthoides non-scripta, not a cultivated species. In nearly 15 acres we probably have 6 or 7 small clusters of 3 or 4 plants.

Reactions: Nice65

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Around me the bluebells in the woods are a bit of a mixture with traits clearly of some cultivated as well as wild bluebells. So white and pink are not uncommon.

I did see some wild "pink bluebells" in a friend's woods a while back. Turned out to be orchids. Clearly I needed to put my glasses on.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, there's early purple orchids amongst the bluebells in one area here :)

One of the things I realised early on in my plant ID studies was that with variations and hybridisation I really don't stand a chance!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have found a number of white fruiting elderberries. Rare in most locations, although I think there is a pattern of seeing them around canals - suggesting they were selected by our ancestors working the canals.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
On my allotment I have found a double wild rose. I suppose it could be a cross with a garden one, but seems like a wild rose in all other respects.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE