Guard Dog On Duty

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, at least he's nearby if dingos attack. LOL

napping-dog.jpg

Here's the accompamying story:

"Meet Chooey; she is a rescued Australian Cattle Dog that spent many days at the Australian Working Dog Rescue, waiting for a family to take her home. At long last, a family decided to give her a forever home! She was so thrilled to be going home, she played around with the sheep on the shelter’s working farm… and got so comfortable she even took a little nap. On the sheep."

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks comfy enough for me. I lived in OZ for a while and met a few Ozzy cattle dogs and they all had a great temperament.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That's a lovely-looking Blue Heeler. Very loyal and active dogs, prone to being a bit too aggressive with sheep (better for cattle). They 'drive' animals by running in and nipping their heels, which tends to scatter sheep.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great picture, got a friend settled in Tasmania has two of these, says they're the best dogs he's ever come across..........

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's a lovely-looking Blue Heeler. Very loyal and active dogs, prone to being a bit too aggressive with sheep (better for cattle). They 'drive' animals by running in and nipping their heels, which tends to scatter sheep.

That tends to be the consensus over here as well.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Would love an aussie sheepdog! fantastic pic. Dont the sheep fear him?

Apparently not. They don't fear the guard dogs over here.

It's common out west (and in many countries) for the dogs to stay with the sheep to keep predators (wolves, cougars, etc.) away. I can't remember the name of the breed but theres a white Italian breed they take the puppies away at birth and put them with the sheep to nurse so they grow up thinking they ARE sheep.

But IIRC this breed is a herding breed more than an actual guard breed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Apparently not. They don't fear the guard dogs over here.

It's common out west (and in many countries) for the dogs to stay with the sheep to keep predators (wolves, cougars, etc.) away. I can't remember the name of the breed but theres a white Italian breed they take the puppies away at birth and put them with the sheep to nurse so they grow up thinking they ARE sheep.

But IIRC this breed is a herding breed more than an actual guard breed.

Hi Santaman the Italian breed you're talking about is the Maremma Sheepdog, they are indeed more of a guard dog than a herding dog.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Santaman the Italian breed you're talking about is the Maremma Sheepdog, they are indeed more of a guard dog than a herding dog.

Thanks for that. I like that link and it is indeed the breed I was talking about in the first part of my post. But when I made the comment about being more of a herding dog I was referring to the Australian cattle dog (Blue heeler) in the OP.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE