Grohmann Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I am awaiting delivery of Grohmann Boat Knife (not for me, a gift :cry:) from www.canadianpeacekeeper.ca which is a little late (few days) in arrival. I sent them an email Friday and recieved a reply today saying my order was sent by airmail on the 19th and will be with me soon. The good bit is that they are offering me 15% off my next purchase for my inconvenience! The cost of the knife was a shade over £30 including postage due to the exchange rate so now I reckon I'll get one for me too even cheaper:-D.

I know there is a review about the knife n the main site but there is little or no talk about them in the forums. Any one got one? Like it?

Anyway just thought I'd let you guys know about a company that has good customer service and good prices!

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
They look hard to carve with, with the blade alot thicker than the handle. I'd be quite interested to know what it feels like. Let me know.

Cheers,

Jake

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have a flat ground boat knife that is plain awesome. This one is in carbon. I convexed the edge and it will peel off BIG slices of wood from the end of a hardwood dowel. Easy to sharpen and takes a razor edge. The handle ergonomics are hard to beat as well.

Grohmann_pic1.jpg

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I've been looking at the Grohmann Knives and was wondering about the orignal award winning D.H. Russell design. It is certainly a beautiful looking knife with its eliptical blade (apperently designed with dressing game in mind) and unusual handle shape, but how would it perform for general bushcraft and why that handle shape?

Heres a pic

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r1s.html

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hoodoo,

Great picture, as I've said before, you've got way too many nice toys!
Thats a great looking, simple way of cutting leather to width, I must give it a try!

Dave

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I don't have the original but I do have a flat-ground camper in stainless that has the same handle. The handle is very comfortable and I would tout this knife as an excellent bushcraft knife. It's a classic outdoorman's knife. It was not much of a whittler when I first got it but after convexing the edge, it carves like a demon.

Really the only bad thing I've ever heard about Grohmanns is the steel, which is a bit on the mild side, maybe something akin to AUS 6. I dunno. That doesn't bother me because I find them easy to sharpen and wonderful to use. I can't tell much difference between carbon and stainless so I would go with stainless and I definitely prefer the flat ground models. The camper is a lot of knife in a lightweight package, imo.

grohmannwhone1.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
BTW, Grohmann was not the only one to produce the Russell belt knife. Here's one I got off ebay that was sold by Herter's. Herter's is an outdoor supply store that predated Cabelas.

herterdhrbelt1.jpg

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I have a carbon boat knife bought second-hand from Gary a while back and it's a lovely knife to work with. Although it was originally a standard bevelled model Gary had ground the bevel away, so it's pretty close to Grohmann's flat grinds. I'm no knife nut but I can thoroughly recommend it as a tool to use.

When I requested a brochure from Grohmann they sent along a voucher (now expired) for money off any orders, so you might want to try the same if you're thinking of ordering one. Be aware that the flat grind knives are only available in stainless steel as standard, but you can have them use carbon if you do not mind paying a little extra. They also do a wide range of handles, including rosewood, micarta, resinwood, stag and even a sort of turquoise mosaic, and several different sheaths. Mine has the flap fastened one, which is very secure.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
The boat knife arrived in the post today.... first impressions are great! Feels great in the hand and looks to die for. Got a small secondary bevel like BigJack said which tempts me to grind it away on my stones, but as its a gift I can't touch it or do anything other than look :-(

Well..... one tiny feather stick can't hurt, can it? :twisted:

Also, without wanting to open old wounds :wink:, I recall on one of threads about full or stick tang someone wondering about a £30 full tang candidate for that brutal resiliance test. Could this be one suggestion? It feels very sturdy and the craftsmanship is A1!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I presonally wouldn't regrind it to flatten the bevel but you might consider convexing the edge. I think it will make it a much better woodcraft knife. Just a suggestion. :0:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE