grinder?

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i'm looking at getting a grinder for some knife making and i was wondering if you could use a belt sander (a fixed one not handheld) and what sort of belts would you need?

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
A belt sander is the tool of choice.A selection of grits will get you started like 60,120..Normal belts are aluminium oxide, these are ok but wear down fairly quickly.Ceramic belts cut better but are more expensive.
Theres a wealth of grinder info on BB.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Before you make any decision have a look like the others have said on British blades. A normal belt sander (one with the disk on the side and a horizontal belt) isn't quite the ticket. If you want to do "slack belting" etc, you may want to invest in a "proper" one that some of their members make- or have a go at making one yourself. A real jobby can cost £1000's

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Before you make any decision have a look like the others have said on British blades. A normal belt sander (one with the disk on the side and a horizontal belt) isn't quite the ticket. If you want to do "slack belting" etc, you may want to invest in a "proper" one that some of their members make- or have a go at making one yourself. A real jobby can cost £1000's

I use an Axminster jobbie with a 6" wide belt and 250mm disc. Works a treat. True it is limited in that it cant do a proper convex but it can do one quite well, works a treat for re grinding argos axes. I just use the bit between the wheel and the platten. It can do hollow on the end wheel though, you just need a jig/angle plate for it. Plus, this is only an issue if you want to make convex knives.

This is what i have.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=580422&name=belt+sander&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE