Greetings from yet another Canadian.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
Morning all!

Been a lurker for a while on this forum (sounds like some kind of cartoon character eh?), definitely like what I see and am looking to introduce myself to the fine community I've found here!

Since this is an introduction, It's time to be a bit conceited and tell you a little about myself. Hopefully you won't be too bored.

Born and raised in Montreal, I've had since youth the admiration and appreciation for the great Canadian Bush (abstraction, not a variant of a shrub) - namely the wonderfully multicoloured autumn canopy that fascinated the first European settlers.
My first knife was a SAK given to me by my parents when I must have been 7? My abilities at the time were carving bottle corks into faces (two eyes and a smiley, nothing fancy!) and points on sticks.

Been in Scouting in Canada for years, and that got me interested in the use of axes, saws, knives, fire etc.
My discovery of the British led concept of bushcraft popularisation opened up new avenues in tool use and overseas techniques that I hadn't imagined before.
Stereotypical Canadian camping tends to be self reffering, with a large part of the population living outdoors, but completely content with their Buck knives and Coleman propane 2 burner stoves.

Through the UK led research in bushcraft and primitive living I have delved deep into the traditions of our own indigenous people, and extrapolated traditions and techniques from overseas that are universally applicable to this environment.

My style of camping is varied, and my gear reflects this as well. Much though hiking in the Boreal Forest, but base camp stays as well to try out gear, practise skills and get away as well. Oh, some Search and Rescue too.

Bit of a knife afficionado, my favourite blades include

Fallkniven (my All time favourites): A1, S1, F1, H1, U2, and reviewing the SK1 for my friend Paul Robinson of workwearcanada.com.

ESEE (formerly Rat cutlery): RC3, RC5
Also the EKA Nordik W11, the Grohman Russel "survival #4 SS", BRKT Bravo1
and a bunch of others less notable (which include some offerings from Cold Steel).

Biggest shock for me here and on BB (which I am not yet a member... one thing at a time) was discovering the paradigm shift between blade use at home and that which you have to deal with.

For me the concept of a blade being used as a weapon is shocking, and mostly unheard of.
Here major crime is fortunatly not as much as that which you have to deal with, and even as a Paramedic I have never personnally had a stabbed patient.
(accidents with axes though plenty!)
It is unusal here for someone not to EDC some kind of knife, and the only law here rules against automatic deploying folder knives (which are intended as weapons) and Ballisongs (such a pretty name!).
Having an Axe in your trunk is essential, both for self rescue and rendering aid on the road, and fixed blades are common.

I am looking for exchange of ideas here with like minded people, and namely wisdom about concepts that I know so little about... Namely hammock camping and the brilliant ideas of Bushmeets.
Re the latter... We have those, but they mainly consist of fire worship in loungers while imbibing copious amounts of beer.

So that's me, and looking forward to getting to know you guys evn more, perhaps taking part in a brew, and perhaps throwing in a perspective of my own.

If interested, you can find my reviews on the "review tab" of the excellent Canadian supplier Workwearcanada.com
http://www.workwearcanada.com/reviews/detail.cfm?review=10
http://www.workwearcanada.com/reviews/detail.cfm?review=9
http://www.workwearcanada.com/reviews/detail.cfm?review=8

Sorry for the long post, introducing yourself is kind of making a review of yourself isn't it...
I try to make sure that if I write an article or review I am thourough if long winded.

Cheers!

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Hey man!,

welcome, dont worry about about the long-windedness (is that a word?)

we're British, we're the founders of using 18 multi-sylabled words where 2 would suffice.

i enjoyed your post,you have a very British writing style

So waffle away!!

PS i have family in Canada, Powell River, and i,m planning a trip to base with them and do a little "exploring"

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Howsitgoineh? Welcome to the forum from a fellow Canuck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and get loads of info out of it. There are many talented people here!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi tcp welcome to the forum hope you enjoy your time here and bye the way the shortened version of your name isan antiseptic over here no pun intended lol regards dave

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Welcome to group therapy. I must say your introduction paints a great picture. I am very envious of you. I long to visit Canada and get myself a canoe, just disappear for a while. I think you'll love hammocking, it's light weight and very versatile. Nothing like waking up in the morning a just being part of the woods. It is one of the best nights sleep I get.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Greetings fella!
Reading your intro. made be go and did out my Grohaman belt knife ( Rosewood handle, Army/Overlap sheath. )
I had forgotten how nice it feels in the hand!
My best.
Chris.

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
hi tcp [...] the shortened version of your name isan antiseptic over here
No kidding? I guess we'll try to keep it clean then :p

I long to visit Canada and get myself a canoe, just disappear for a while.

So the last time I tried to step in a canoe I was viciously attacked by a Lake bourne Sea Monster! After being thrown 60 feet in the air I hit the water first and the canoe above me... I courageously battled the creature and after winning submerged in the flipped over canoe, took a deep breath Indiana Jones style and extricated myself. Breaking my glasses in the process.
TBH my favoured style of excursion is winter camping... true there is some getting used to -40* C (sorry, metric over here!) but there is unequalled beauty in the winter woods... so quiet...
And no bugs!!!
Getting away.... Amazing. What i'll try to do this weekend.

Reading your intro. made be go and did out my Grohaman belt knife ( Rosewood handle, Army/Overlap sheath. )
I had forgotten how nice it feels in the hand!
Nice aren't they? Excellent hunting blades... a designed that was copied often since, namely by the illustrious Mike Stewart of BRKT, and Cold steel too i think. They are absolute garbage at batonning though because of the rounded spine, and hard to deal with wearing gloves. My favourite camping being winter... Fallkniven's rubberized grip wins hands down (lol) then.

Greetings....we live not too far apart I guess...I'm out in the wilds of beautiful Lanark County.

Howdy neighbour! We shoudl touch base sometime.... Like I said earlier, what I'd dearly like to do is create a local version of "bushmeets" and do some serious bushcrafting in a community. Hard to tell how many of us there are around though... Perhaps we should get a PM chat going sometime?

Cheers to all and to all thanks for your words of welcome!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE