grass snakes out already

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OwenoWent

Feb 3, 2011
South West Wales
Can you get more information on this? It is unusual to encounter an adder in this weather unless bright and sunny and it would be the first confirmed sighting this year. More information on the envenomated region and health of the dog would be really helpful as the potency of venom is high due to lack of use over the hibernation period. Pictures of the area would be superb too if you can get any.

From my understanding of the events - the dog was digging a burrow on the common then yelped. The owner saw a snake disappearing back down into the burrow. I'm guessing the dog must have disturbed it's hibernation.

In terms of the dog's health. It went very ill very quickly, was rushed to the vets and has recovered well. I'll see if I can get the owner to send me a picture of the bitten area.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
From my understanding of the events - the dog was digging a burrow on the common then yelped. The owner saw a snake disappearing back down into the burrow. I'm guessing the dog must have disturbed it's hibernation.

In terms of the dog's health. It went very ill very quickly, was rushed to the vets and has recovered well. I'll see if I can get the owner to send me a picture of the bitten area.

Yeah, that sounds about right. They continue to move about in the hibernation den to get the correct temperature. Dogs are remarkably resilient to adder bite and usually only suffer badly in the first 24 hours. The after effects can last up to two weeks though, so tell your friend not to exercise the dog two much for the next ten days. That should allow all of the venom to leave the system without any reoccurring symptoms.

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
4824609818_1af7a245ce_b.jpg

Sorry to jack the thread again but have you noticed the snake's eye looks like the eye of sauron?

Eye_of_sauron.jpg

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I know nothing at all about snakes but what a great thread, a really interesting and informative read.

Thanks JD for all the info

Dave

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
http://twitpic.com/3wocks

Here's a picture of the dog's bitten area. It was twice the size initially but the vet has drained it. It's gone red and sore now because the dog is licking it a lot.

Hope this is of use to you.

nice one mate i walk the gower alot and got a pup thats going for hes first walk in 2 weeks so when hes digging i will keep a close eye? is it common to hear of the dogs geting snake bites?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
http://twitpic.com/3wocks

Here's a picture of the dog's bitten area. It was twice the size initially but the vet has drained it. It's gone red and sore now because the dog is licking it a lot.

Hope this is of use to you.

Thanks for that.

nice one mate i walk the gower alot and got a pup thats going for hes first walk in 2 weeks so when hes digging i will keep a close eye? is it common to hear of the dogs geting snake bites?

It can happen, but I wouldn't worry about it. Adders are usually off at the first sign of danger and a strike is the very last defence if cornered.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE