Graphics Tablets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Well just got one, Wacom Intuos3 A5 size, idea being to use it with photoshop and autocad etc.
Anyone else use these devices to manipulate/work on images ?
I have got to get used to it yet, but my first impressions are very favourable, you get a pen and mouse that can be used on the surface to control the curser. The whole of the screen is mapped to the tablet so you can close and open programs, browse the internet just using the pen if you want.
Any tips to speed up the learning curve would be handy.
Would be interested to hear other peoples views on these devices.
Right then, going back to playing with my new toy now.:D

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Yep, I've been using one for the last 14 years. No tips other than don't drop anything on the tablet or press too hard (for instance writing a letter on top of the tablet with a ball point pen) as this can (and usually will) damage the internals in some way, often creating a dead spot.

Otherwise, you'll soon find that the mouse is a crappy tool, I use the tablet for most applications these days. I have a A4 one at home and a whopping A3 jobby at work, never tried an A5 so you'll have to let us know how you get on.

In photoshop you simply have so much more control over the tools and pressures. In Illustrator it makes drawing a breeze. How the hell can you draw with a mouse anyway?

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I have the A4 Version, I would be lost without it :)
The mouse takes a bit of getting used to at first, but it's great when you have the hang of it.
The pen, oh wow, the pen. It's the best thing since sliced bread. For dodging & burning right up to liquify and colour replacement, it's so much better than a mouse and the control is superb!

Learning curve? Open up a blank layer in Photoshop or in paint and start sketching something. It's the hand to eye coordination you will need to work on :)

As for mapping the screen to the pad, I don't bother, I just the side strips to zoom in and out sometimes, but the way I have my desk set up, I work with the keyboard most of the time (I use photoshop)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've got a cheapo one and it works fine. It is worth persevering with as it takes a while to get used to after a mouse. it makes selections so much easier.

spent many years when i started out using a Digitizer pallette for Auto cad back when it was a Dos program:eek: (and would run in 8meg of ram :lmao: we got the big puters in the design dept)
never got a pen for it used the digitizer for all the CAD buttons
when we switched to windows i kept it but just used it as a posh mouse (we never digitized stuff) only advantage was you can use it when the desk is covered with paper work that slips about :cool: the tablet still knows where the Puck is

then it died and went over to a normal mouse but a few more buttons than usual
after many moe years ive now got serious RSI and carpul Tunnel in the wrists :( but thats a many years of 8hrs a day seroius mousing

Wish i tryed the pen bit it definatly looks good for Arty stuff

ATB

Duncan

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've got an A4 generic one. I find it useful for doing artistic stuff and fine retouching but most of the time I prefer my mouse. Mice have improved a lot since the early ones, the new laser mice with high resolution give a high degree of control.

Where the graphic tablet really comes into its own is when I'm painting and want different pressures or masking a tricky outline.

If you've got a program like Corel Painter then a graphic tablet is really fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE