Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet - best place to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
Hi all, I am starting to deliver more craft courses (bow making etc) and I firmly believe in having the best kit available.
I'm after 4 GB Wildlife Hatchets for loaners on courses. Anyone know the current best price on these or anyone who will do a bulk buy discount?
Cheers.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I paid less than a tenner for my hatchet, does this make it bad kit? It is my first axe since i took my very finger tip off aged 9

with one, when looking to buy it was bamboozling as they ranged in price from a 5er to over a hundred quid, what's the difference please? All i wanted was a small light wood chopping axe so i can give my knives a rest from batonning

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121292115499?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

rancid badger

I doubt you'll get much off such a small order but you could try : http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/ourshops

That's who I used, when I set up the bushcraft training courses I ran for 8 years with the local Forestry Commission and local "conservation" group.

I purchased everything from them including 30 knives, 20 firesteels, 15 laplanders and a few axes and got a really good, full trade discount, it might not work out as well if all you're after is 4 hatchets but who knows, you might end up giving them a better order and getting a full discount.

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
Thank for the tips guys. GGTBod, I'm after something with a narrow head for carving and they will only occasionally be used for splitting. I've tried carving with wider hatchets and find they take far more effort as they are made for splitting and have more of a wedge shape.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for explaining mine is definitely just for splitting firewood, for a second or two i was getting concerned my axe head was gonna fly off or something, i'm still carving with knives at the minute one day i might progress to using an axe.

i was originally just trying to buy a small axe head and make my own handle but it was working out almost 3 times what i spent and they all seemed huge (2-4lbs just for the head) compared to the cheapo one i bought at 800g in total, i was looking at expensive ones too but i kept thinking how apt for the purpose a simple mora knife is and i figured/hoped it would be the same with a simple wood axe especially for the purpose i had intended for it's use

rancid badger

The best bet for a small, quality carver on the cheap, is simply to trawl boot sales and then re-model an old hatchet head and give it a new handle.

I've done several of these over the last few years and ended up hanging up my GB tools and using my boot sale specials instead.

I eventually sold my GB sfa and wildlife hatchet as they were just gathering dust.

I currently only have one axe on duty and it's another boot sale special, re-modeled, with a new handle made from local ash and a simple diy leather jacket;

I set it up originally as a carving tool, in the same vain as the GB carving axe, heavy'ish but very sharp and ground to cut rather than split

I actually had it up for sale and indeed sold, at one point, but when I dug it out of the garage, I found the head had loosened off so withdrew it from sale. I later sorted it out with the addition of a second large copper wedge and in spite of some serious abuse since then, its never moved again:cool:

On the subject of good or bad tools, I agreed to run the courses for the FC etc, on the understanding that I was given a decent budget for purchasing quality tools, as I refused to go with their original suggestion of "just going to B&Q":rolleyes:
They were not bothered what tools paying clients would use but I was and was determined to offer top class kit for my courses. I didn't buy a load of GB axes but bought good knives,etc as already mentioned.

If I needed to acquire decent quality, sturdy hatchets or axes for running courses today, I wouldn't waste money on GB tools,which while they are fabulous tools, are still way overpriced and I'd go with "Fiskars" for students/clients use. The main reason for this being that paying clients rarely if ever, have any respect for the tools issued to them.

One option I seriously considered, was giving the knives and firesteels away, as part of the package.They would be issued a knife and a firesteel to use, then take away with them.

This would have meant charging a few quid more (actually not a great deal) for the course but would have avoided the issues around people abusing and damaging tools and the faff of having to repair or replace them. It would also have meant an ongoing but self sustaining requirement for purchasing more kit from my supplier, a bit of a win/win position in my opinion.
That may be an option worth considering for your courses Pete.:)

Anywho, good luck with your venture, I hope it's a great success.

best wishes

Steve

Last edited:

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
Thank you Steve for the info, I'd always thought about some give aways but never extended that to thinking about tools. I currently have only the desire to repurpose old tools and not the ability or time. I'll check out Fiskars stuff and Phil's link after dinner. Ta.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thank you Steve for the info, I'd always thought about some give aways but never extended that to thinking about tools. I currently have only the desire to repurpose old tools and not the ability or time. I'll check out Fiskars stuff and Phil's link after dinner. Ta.

if you've not used them before. fiskars axes cut like b***ards and bloody bombproof......perfect for student use IMO

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
their not half bad y'know. i'v not had a GB wildlife myself so i cant compare directly but i'v got several other GB axe's and i'd imagine the wildlife would just beat a fiskars for carving. saying that though the fiskars would feather stick quite nicely and tbh they are a pretty good general axe.

shame i'v not still got it or i could've lent it to you, i'm only down the road from you

HTH.....adam

*edit
when i said they cut well in my last post. i meant cross grain chopping not splitting, although they do split very well too
i'v got some old axe's that i'v re-profiled of a similar size to a GB wildlife and the fiskars out chopped most of em.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
just had a quick look on ebay, theres a few x7's for around 25 quid delivered....for that price you really cant go wrong matey...if you get one let us know what you think of it eh

yeah, i meant to email you for info when i commented on your other thread. as i said on that one i'm only over in buxton so i'll have to try and make a meet or whatever else you've got on

....adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE